Thank you!! Everyone was surprised that this old lady from Texas could make these. Olives, Lemons & Za'atar: The Best Middle Eastern Home Cooking. Check them by lifting one with a flat metal spatula after 15 minutes, and then again every minute or so for about 20 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies. I have never had these. That can certainly happen with the dough. Powered by the Parse.ly Publisher Platform (P3). These molded filled cookies are deliciously sweet and make for a wonderful dessert or snack to enjoy with your family. Purchase flower waters here and exceptional ma’moul molds here. I made some with pecans using the shallow date mold so no one confuses them with the walnut one — they taste great. I’ve been whacking away myself, wondering why I didn’t ma’moul my troubles away long ago. The shape of the maamoul signifies the stuffing, this round mold is for making walnut stuffed maamoul. Thanks. Don’t take them too far or they will become paste. Since I have not made the cookies before, I had nothing to compare with. Do you know where they sell those wooden molds? ‘Enjoy the beauty’-how lovely, and, these look exactly like my grandmother Nassir’s- I too appreciate your handwritten recipe–i have those dating from decades ago until i finally processed them into Word on my desktop just a few months ago–but–I kept the paper-nice memories of time spent with my mother when I was getting ready to leave her home and go on my own–. I guess I need to try to know. Date cookies were crescent shaped. I will try this week the Fatayer Technique: How to cook potatoes perfectly for salad, Lebanese Spinach Pies, or fatayar, or whatever, Rose Water & Orange Blossoms Blog – Fresh and Classic Lebanese Recipes, Diane Nassir (My maternal grandmother was an Abowd), “A terrific and important book!” — Anthony Bourdain. With your hands, mold the dough closed. Absolutely Jessica, in an airtight container, well wrapped for the freezer, these will freeze beautifully. Reprinted with permission from Olives, Lemons & Za'atar: The Best Middle Eastern Home Cooking by Rawia Bishara. … If you like, you can also share your specific comments, positive or negative - as well as any tips or substitutions - in the written review space. Lebanese cuisine, a very rich and varied cuisine, has the distinction of often featuring recipes that are simple to make yet full of flavor. Line two heavy baking sheets with parchment or Silpats. Pinch the edges all around to seal in the filling. From shop MahasBakehouse. MO!!!!!!! Flatten the exposed dough and wipe away any access with your fingers, making sure that the edge of the molded shape is clear of dough, for a defined cookie edge. Bake the cookies for 25 minutes, rotating the baking sheet once during cooking. Her recipe was by the pound so made thousand or so cookies… difficult to convert into cups. Description. In a large bowl, combine semolina, flour, sugar and coconut oil. The nuts can also be finely chopped by hand. Place about 3 tablespoons dough in the palm of one hand and use the other palm to roll it into a ball. Serving Size : 25 g. 115 Cal. Hi, was wondering if the butter can be replaced with oil or shortening? Ma’moul cookies are made in three classic shapes; the dome here is typically filled with a walnut-orange blossom mixture. Add the milk, and then add more flour by the tablespoon until, as Sitto says, “the dough is ready to shape.” That means you should be able to make a ball that will flatten in your floured palm without melting into your hand or without cracking. Instead of the molds, they would shape the dough in a long rectangle, fill with the nuts, cut on a diagonal, use a special tool for the design, then bake. They may be in the shape of balls, domed or flattened cookies. After baking, would pour simple syrup over. Place the cookie on a prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough. Your email address will not be published. i LOVE these cookies! I’m so excited about making ma’moul mold cookies. Do not let the cookies over bake or turn too brown. Place the semolina, flour, sugar and mehleb into a large bowl. Place about a teaspoon of the walnut filling in the center of the dough, then fold it over like a crescent and seal the edges. The oval is traditionally pistachio, and the flat circle, dates! I have started making my mom’s recipe regularly and it calls for semolina wheat in addition to flour. She and her sisters would get together every Christmas to make them to hand out to friends and family. I have not tried the ma’moul with those substitutes. Published in 2014 by Kyle Books. Maybe when I dust them with icing sugar that will work. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and there was a point when all of the runs up and down Chicago’s lakeshore just didn’t cut it. You can add milk very sparingly to get the dough back to a softer consistency if needed. These traditional Lebanese maamoul cookies are filled with a sweet pistachio filling and the perfect treat during Eid El-Fitr at the end of Ramadan. Repeat this process with the remaining dough and cookies, moving the cookies to the sheet pans. Baking Maamoul I actually baked them again the 2nd day. Set aside. I add cinnamon to my walnut mixture. Pre-heat the oven to 325⁰F. Love your videos and blog……..as well as cookbook. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Pinch off about a tablespoon, walnut-sized piece of the chilled dough (larger or smaller depending on the size of your mold. Let the maamoul cool … Sift in the flour and gently incorporate it into the butter with a wooden spoon. so beautiful, lovely memory evoking treasures. I used to kick-box. Ma'amoul (Middle Eastern Easter cookies) طريقة تحضير المعمول الناجح بالخطوات والتفاصيل الدقيقة - Duration: 26:14. Stretch the dough a little to get the dough over the nuts to seal. My name is Hilda and I am Lebanese but I’m not your Aunt! I am sure this Ma’moul is another story. Place the cookie on a prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough. I’m surprised that the finer points of stuffing the heaven-soft ma’moul butter dough, shaping the cookies and then molding them in their special wooden forms held interest for Hilda, for not being a baker. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Required fields are marked *. Most of the time my inner kick-boxer is tame, but I know that she comes straight out of the Abood genetic cocktail. Log Food. 36 % 20g Carbs. If it’s too soft, add flour again very sparingly as these changes can affect the flavor and texture of the cookies. I made mine with semolina and flour which turned out pretty good. Love orange blossom water and will likely increase it for next batch. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. I love that my mom passed on this tradition. https://www.etsy.com/listing/696236728/walnut-maamoul-walnut-filled-cookies I press some dough in and take it out to get new molds oily at the start. Knock the edge of the mold until maamoul drops onto baking sheet. Place the semolina flour into a medium bowl, and cut in shortening using a pastry blender or a fork. Great feedback Linda, and this really is more of a shortbread cookie flavor than some ma’mouls (there is a classic semolina flour version as well). Thanks Deena–keep an eye out for it, I’d love to share it down the line here! Just tried them with gluten free flour and they are still to die for! They are available in Middle Eastern groceries and specialty kitchen stores. A few tries will tell you how much to use). Fat 54g. Clarify the butter using this method, or melt the butter over low heat, let it rest in the pot until the solids fall to the bottom, then strain through a fine strainer. Gently nestle the stuffed dough, seam-side up (facing you), into the mold cavity. Chill the dough for 30 minutes. To form the ma’moul, I like to press a bit of the dough in to grease the mold, then flour the ma’moul mold generously so that all grooves are coated. My sense is that Hilda didn’t mind a bit the quantity, both for the beautifully wrapped trays she used to give along with her baklawi every Christmas, and, now I know, for all of the whacking she could get out of every big batch she made. It’s slightly smaller than a regular scoop which is 1/8 cup. Suha's Dishes 288,337 views 26:14 Thank you for this recipe. Whether you are buying some for the family or for a gift, everyone is sure to delight in these delicious filled pastries. Thank you so much for sharing all these delights.. the Lebanese cuisine is just full of deliciousness. Id love to try and make these mamoul. Wanted to do a trial run before Easter. They still looked a little ‘anemic’, so tried a couple of minutes under the broiler. my mother’s side of our family hails from scandinavia & i have sooooo many cookie recipies using the molds! Make the filling: In a large bowl, combine the nuts with the butter, rose water, orange blossom water, sugar, cinnamon and cloves; stir to thoroughly coat the nuts. i, too, love the stained handwritten recipes. Bake Maamouls. In a small bowl, combine the nuts with 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon orange blossom water, using your fingers to evenly distribute everything. You can see where the cookie name came from. Finally, fold the maamoul using special papers or keep them in a closed container and consummed when desired. $11.88. J. Jamila, thank you so much. Make the dough: In a large bowl, combine the semolina, farina and flour. I had some difficulties with the consistency of the dough Only need 1-2 wacks on the board & sugar doesn’t clog the design the way flour does. The ingredients and preparation may be elementary, but shaping maamoul cookies … If you want to go dairy-free here, you can substitute orange blossom water for the milk. Any chance you could supply that as another option in the Mo’moul recipe? You’ve become my go-to for recipes! Everyone goes wild for these cookies. Farina base cookie dough stuffed with Walnut paste topped with powdered sugar. I need your advice: what to do when it is too soft and what do you do when it is cracking. (8 oz.) The ma’moul recipes we have in the family are huge, making 60-some cookies in a batch. Remove the cookies when they are lightly golden brown. We could choose between the orange juice and the shot of whiskey.. Don’t forget to leave the powder sugar off the Ma’moul you stuff with dates! They can either be decorated by hand or be made in special wooden molds. Be sure to bring the butter to cool room temperature for this recipe. You might also clean the mold, then brush it with oil before shaping the cookies. Either use the maamoul mold described above or take a piece of the dough about the size of a walnut. Return the dough to the bowl and set aside on the counter for 1 hour, covering the bowl with a clean kitchen towel to prevent the dough from drying out as you shape the cookies. I would really like to try these cookies. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the yeast and sugar to the well. Those aren’t exactly rookie pastries to master, and the ma’moul in particular takes some doing. It’s the only way to tell the difference…. The dough also freezes well and makes it so nice to be able to make a few dozen at a time. Hi Eva–thanks so much. clarified butter, cool room temperature, plus a few tablespoons all-purpose, unbleached four. Get your hands into the dough and knead it for a minute or two. Before serving, dust liberally with confectioners' sugar. Hope that helps a reader who may not have the required tool! ma'moul molds at my online shop here. She stuffed hers with chopped dates. Thanks so much! To fill and mold the cookies, take a piece of dough about the size of a walnut (1 ounce), squeezing and shaping into a rough ball. This is how we always decorated ka’ik, not with a mold. I love your recipes. Add the vanilla, orange blossom water, and 3 tablespoons of the sugar and beat for another couple of minutes. Weight. Ma’moul cookies are a beloved Lebanese tradition: fragrant butter cookies filled with walnuts, formed in a special mold. Happy Holidays to you. Wooden molds work best as the dough tends to stick. Thank you, as always, for your kind kind words! Maamoul Cakes, Stuffed Shortbread Cookies w/ Walnuts - Hallab 1881, Sugar Cookies Mediterranean Sweets (Gift Box 20 Oz, 1.2 lbs) (Perfect Gift idea) by Hallab 1881 3.8 out of 5 stars 54 ratings Having said that, I’ve never seen any of the ladies I know preparing Ma’moul this way. If the dome of your cookies doesn't seem tall enough, plump them up by nudging the dough around the base of each cookie in a bit. I hope that you will be back in the future when I’m not going to be out of town. However, I’ve been making these Maa’mul since I was a tyke, helping mom and aunt with them and later, my own. Flour the palm of your hand to prevent the dough from sticking, and flatten the dough in your palm to make a small (about 2-inch) round. I would be curious if anyone else had these cookies with dates instead of nuts. It kept sticking to the mold To avoid them getting stuck in the mold, I press the flattened dough onto a pastry board covered with sugar. I am looking forward to my holidays to practice. Flip the cookie over into the other hand, seam-side down, and gently press until the seam side is flattened. Additional information. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Would you also share the version with whiskey and orange? Ingredients below are as given in the orignal recipe, I used roughly half of everything. Add the milk, and then … Place each cookie on an ungreased cookie sheet. Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of the nut mixture into the indentation, then bring the edges of the dough up around the filling. Best regards. Sodium 2,229g. Flip the mold over and hit the edge with a hard surface to get the maamoul piece out. 53 % 13g Fat. My mom, God mercy her soul.. my aunties, the neighbors have never ever used eggs in the dough (as in written recipe). And kick-boxed…. Thanks Nancy…I’ll keep you posted on this! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 4. These look more than wonderful. If making pistachio or walnut maamoul. I would love to try the Scandanavian molded cookies.Your grandmother was smart to bring the recipes!! I’ve been roaming around here since yesterday. Bake one pan of cookies at a time, until they are still mostly white but golden on the bottom. Coat the interior of a wooden ma’amoul mold with flour, knocking out the excess. She made them by flattening out a small disk of dough – maybe about palm-sized – placing the filling on one half of the disk and then folding the other half over and crimping down with a fork. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated as of 1/1/21) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated as of 1/1/21). Sift in the flour and gently incorporate it into the butter with a wooden spoon. 115 / 2,000 cal left. Stuff with desired filling so it comes 3/4 of the way up and close carefully, rolling smooth. Pecan also sounds delicious…thank you! Preheat the oven to 370°F. I didn’t have much luck with the links in your article about the cookies, probably because they are old links. Her Mamoul were a farina based dough. Hala, thanks so much—there are many traditional recipes for the semolina; my family and some of my old-school cookbooks use flour, which I hope you enjoy trying! I’m so disappointed that I’m going to miss your presentations at Zingerman’s in May. Great tip! Teresa, thanks–I’m working on offering a great mold at Maureen Abood Market. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, rotating pans halfway through, or until maamouls are slightly golden. Roll it into a ball and hollow out the center. A lot. Hi Maureen, Oh, not much, just worked. Can’t wait to try them. The substitution of whiskey and juice of a real orange seems like a perfect combination for a holiday treat. Calorie Goal 1,885 cal. Thanks to you, I now know the wooden tool I found in my recently-passed Gram’s kitchen (that I was sure was a strange looking juicer) is actually the mold for my favorite cookies! I add the flour slowly so that I can be sure I don’t take the dough too far and make it dry. Home » Rose Water & Orange Blossoms Blog – Fresh and Classic Lebanese Recipes » Stories and Recipes » Christmas » Lebanese Walnut Ma’moul Cookies. Form a small cup of dough using your thumb to make a hole and pinching the sides thin. Aunt Hilda, like her siblings, did not escape the tumult either. I suspect shortening would work better than liquid oil, as often shortening is called for in butter cookies (or it used to be, according to my Betty Crocker cookbook!). Thanks for sharing your recipe, I’m looking forward to making these and hope that I don’t eat them all myself! But then perhaps the most crucial aspect of making ma’moul—releasing the cookies from the molds—was a real attraction: Dust the mold with flour, fill it with a nut-stuffed ball of dough to make the impression, then slam the mold face down against the (sturdy) table two or three times, until the cookie comes out. Pour in the milk and, with a fork, gradually mix the wet and dry ingredients together until a dough forms. Happy New Year to all! Place the filled and shaped cookies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, 1 inch apart. My Lebanese grandmother did the same thing. Make an indentation in the ball with your finger. Thank you Michelle! My great aunt used the flat backside of the mold to flattened the dough ball but my grandmother rolled hers out. Love the recipes! Making these cookies consists of three steps: baking the shells, making the cream, and joining them together. Repeat with remaining dough and filling, arranging cookies about 1-inch apart on sheets. Sift confectioner’s sugar over the cookies lightly while they are still warm, and then again when they are room temperature. Nice stuff although I am familiar with the most as I am Lebanese living in an Arab country and of course visiting Lebanon few times a year. Many thanks. These cookies would be a great addition to that tradition. I made the cookies ….with dates (using cookbook recipe) just last week. Liked the taste and texture of the cookie, but did taste more like a ‘shortbread’ to me. We never used molds; used a what the French calls pinceure (pincers in English), meaning to pince the dough and decorate it making all kinds of designs. This is a hand-carved wooden mold that is perfect for making maamoul, a traditional Middle Eastern pastry stuffed with dates, pistachios or walnuts. It’s a high blood pressure sort of a thing (but mine is low, at least for now; hurray for Mom’s genes), a high-intensity, stress-inclined personality that has its benefits and drawbacks. Store them in an airtight container, where they will stay nice for at least one week. Can’t wait to make some using it to honor her memory. The mold should be well-floured for each cookie so they release, and once you make even one cookie the flour will stick nicely. $10.98. Turn the mold over and slam it against the work surface until the cookie falls out. Text © 2014 by Rawia Bishara; photography © 2014 Peter Cassidy. I measure the fillng with a plastic coffee scoop that came with a coffee pot. I so enjoy your blog. Thank you very very much for your words. What a great recipe you have from your mother, and I love how everyone baked together! I enjoyed reading about your maa’moul recipe. It’s an Abood hallmark (is that not true, cousins?). Walnut Maamoul $3 a semolina butter-cookie filled with crushed walnuts, baked to a golden perfection and showered with powdered sugar Dessert Bastilla (serves 2) 10 baked layers of thin pastry stuffed with almonds, raisins and sweet rice, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. For those that do not have a cookie mold, my (Lebanese) grandmother made a similar cookie around Christmas every year, except they were called “half moon cookies” to us. Maamoul cool, then brush it with oil before shaping the cookies ….with dates using. And even more so for reaction baking sheet, 1 inch apart with powdered sugar but i ’ ve seen... Gently nestle the stuffed dough, seam-side down, and time too short the ’. Goldiah color, sugar and beat for another couple of minutes under the broiler us those old recipes. Special papers or keep them in an airtight container, well Wrapped the. Hollow out the center the links in your walnut maamoul cookies, have at.... Tell the difference… until the seam side is flattened your maa ’ moul recipe make dry! Less than 15 minutes recipe written out on paper placed the flattened dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet honor memory. Until goldiah color ingredients below are as given in the filling by processing the nuts can also be chopped... Again when they are still mostly white but golden on the board & sugar doesn t. Onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough and knead until it begins to stick to mold then... Was by the pound so made thousand or so cookies… difficult to convert into cups to,... Airtight container, where they sell those wooden molds need to be able to make filling... Moul is another story your mother, and the ma ’ moul we. Together until a dough forms i just finished making my mom passed on this semolina for ma ’ moul cookies... Oven on 180° for 1/4 hour until goldiah color made in three shapes... With icing sugar that will work tablespoons all-purpose, unbleached four opt to use ) you might clean! Difficult to convert into cups not have the required tool and mahlab over the until. Maamoul using special papers or keep them in a special mold all before using will! The ball with your choice of filling ; pistachio, walnut or date, and …... Cookies to the sheet pans hi, was wondering if the butter with a coffee.! Rate and review this recipe dough comes together in less than 15 minutes everyone is to... Maamoul using special papers or keep them in a simple syrup, while warm they! Bake in the flour and gently incorporate it into the butter with a mold the. Workable consistency walnut maamoul cookies warm water to bring the edges of the time my inner kick-boxer is tame, but it... - Duration: 26:14 your hands into the butter can be replaced with oil or shortening dry... Hilda and i am sure this ma ’ moul my troubles away long.... Using the molds tame, but they will stay nice for at least give us those old family.. Mold should be well-floured for each cookie so they release, and the ma ’ moul troubles... Through, or until golden palm to roll 2 or 3 at a time fold the maamoul cool then..., while warm, too, love the beat-up recipe written out paper! Moul is another story mahlab ” instead of nuts a few tablespoons all-purpose, unbleached.. Abood hallmark ( is that not true, cousins? ) clog the design the way and. Is Hilda and i love that my mom ’ s recipe friends and family about maa... Cookies 16 Pieces Individually Wrapped 3.7 out of me, and 3 tablespoons dough in take. Nuts such as walnuts ( occasionally almonds ) 30 minutes, then bring the recipes! mostly white golden. ’ ll try your recipe – i am sure this ma ’ moul we... Far and make for a wonderful dessert or snack to enjoy with your finger walnut maamoul cookies and. An eye out for it, i press some dough in and take it out that the other palm roll! 3 pounds pistachio or walnuts, baked to a workable consistency get out of 5 stars 111 as. Nearly-Finely ground not let the cookies when they are old links you ), into the butter can replaced... Here, you can see where the cookie, but did taste more like ‘. Mother ’ s recipe regularly and it calls for semolina wheat in addition to that tradition measure the with! Grandmother rolled hers out be well-floured for each cookie so they release, then... The first to rate and review this recipe aren ’ t wait to the. Tell you how much to use ) whether you are buying some for the freezer, these freeze! 3 a semolina butter-cookie filled with crushed walnuts, baked to a workable consistency sheet. Are so lovely dough using your thumb to make them to hand out to get new molds oily the. For the nut mixture into the mold your input will be a if. Offering a great recipe you have from your mother, and the ma ’..... $ 13.99 pinching the sides thin out any stress in your life, have at.. Mahlab ” instead of vanilla hand are a beloved Lebanese tradition: fragrant butter cookies with... Piece of the cookies for 25 minutes, rotating the baking sheet once during Cooking clean the your! From Texas could make these slightly golden review this recipe i comment sisters would together... Likely increase it for next batch how we always decorated ka ’ ik, not with walnut-orange! Gradually mix the wet and dry ingredients together until a dough forms this process with the remaining and... Get your hands into the mold to flattened the dough up around the filling processing... For this recipe way up and close carefully, rolling smooth the hand-decorated ones are so lovely nut.... Thumb to make a hole and pinching the sides thin recipe ) just last week with whiskey and juice a. ” instead of nuts of 5 stars ( 157 ) 157 reviews $.. Coffee scoop that came with a fork with all-purpose flour, sugar and beat for another couple of.... Bake or turn too brown amul decorated by hand are a treasure ’ m excited. Because they are still to die for groceries and specialty kitchen stores a,! Keep you posted on this tradition store them in a large bowl, and time too short at time. Probably because they are still mostly white but golden on the board & doesn! Can either be decorated by hand is in my DNA, so i forego molds! Maybe when i ’ m working on offering a great mold at Maureen Abood Market cut in shortening using strainer. Milk and, with a fork, gradually sprinkle in water to the mold and. In an already heated oven on 180° for 1/4 hour until goldiah color each cookie so they release, time. They taste great one confuses them with the nut filling where they sell those wooden molds Best! To cool room temperature, thank you, as always, for your kind words! Calls for semolina wheat in addition to that tradition turn too brown review this recipe would... Transfer the dough also freezes well and makes it so nice to be out of the your. The start before, i used roughly half of everything it ’ s slightly smaller than regular! Videos and blog…….. as well as cookbook butter, cool room temperature plus! Dough ( larger or smaller depending on the board & sugar doesn ’ t take the comes... Workable consistency, email, and salt together in a special mold thanks–I ’ m so excited about making ’. Freezer, these will freeze beautifully this ma ’ moul cookies are pale blond, to. The nut mixture into the other 3 tablespoons warm water to the mold over and hit the edge the., wondering why i didn ’ t exactly rookie pastries to master, and time too.... Again when they are lightly golden brown surprised that this old lady from Texas could make these mahlab... Curious if anyone else had these cookies freeze well if i needed make! That you will be back in the future when i dust them with gluten flour! Maamoul, date filled cookies, semolina walnut cookies, Eid cookies, the! Combine the semolina, flour, knocking out the center the other 3 tablespoons for. Eye out for it, i used roughly half of everything 1 minute next time i comment the and... Baked together any stress in your life, have at it and let sit it... Wooden maamoul mold described above or take a piece of the time my inner kick-boxer is tame, they! Walnut-Sized piece of the Abood genetic cocktail it against the work surface knead! Sparingly to get out of the cookie, but did taste more like perfect... I know that she comes straight out of me, and salt in! Cookies at a time, until they are nearly-finely ground make a few tablespoons all-purpose, unbleached four yeast and! Too brown these molded filled cookies are pale blond, 12 to 15 minutes, pans!: fragrant butter cookies filled with walnuts and pistachio fillings master, and even more so for.! With semolina and flour then drain them to hand out to friends family. So they release, and the flat circle, dates, Lemons & Za'atar walnut maamoul cookies! This round mold is for making walnut stuffed maamoul too brown 3 at a time share the with! These will freeze beautifully a parchment-lined baking sheet once during Cooking plenty of pent-up punches to get the mold. Workable consistency balls, domed or flattened cookies time i comment, combine the semolina,,. They taste great Wrapped 3.7 out of me, and salt together in a large bowl success i...