All rights reserved. It is used for furniture, interior trim, railroad ties, cigar boxes, crates, flooring, barrels, woodenware, and wood pulp. The Sweet Gum tree (Liquidambar styraciflua) has many commercial, medicinal, edible and residential uses.In this article I will detail what these uses are, and how they are utilized. Sweet gum is a larval host plant for the beautiful luna moth. I've never seen crafts made from them before but have wondered why they haven't been used before. Once the wood is split, store it under a roof or cover because sweet gum tends to rot quickly and produce mold when it's exposed to moisture. Ever run into these spiky seed balls in the grass and wondered if there’s a use for them? I used black burlap since I … Native Americans used a decoction of leaves or roots as a wash to treat injuries. I am sure that many people view them as … Sweet Gum Tree Spiked Gum Balls Nuts Seed Pods Crafts Hobbies Ornaments Decoration Wedding Wreath supplies CJKEngraving. If you are feeling really motivated, get on ebay and sell some like these folks are! The only edible part of the tree is the dried sap […] I believe sweet gum is the same as red gum, which was used as high quality millwork in many of the houses that were in the High Park area of Toronto back in the 20's. These are sweet gum seed balls. Along the rivers of the south-eastern United States, Sweet gums exceed 125 ft. in height and 4 ft. in diameter. Noah is the one who make the beak connection, and once he did, he was too freaked out for awhile to touch his ball again. Edible parts of Sweet Gum: A chewing gum and a stabilizer for cakes etc is obtained from the resin. Jul 13, 2020 Cut material into strips and wrap it around the form. It caused nasty bruising for weeks and a circle of puncture wounds from the spikes…, Aug 09, 2020 The bark has been used to relieve diarrhea and dysentery. The fruit was once used by the Cherokee Indian tribes as a medicinal tea for treatment of flu symptoms. May 15, 2020 Jul 10, 2020 - Explore Suzanne Haynes's board "CRAFTING", followed by 175 people on Pinterest. Cardinals measure roughly 4" tall to tip of tail and about 3" wide. Source:https://southernherbalist.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/sweetgumtree/, Aug 15, 2020 See our newer post on Sweetgum Balls & Tamiflu! Their fruit is effective against rheumatic pain. Opens image gallery. Medicinal Uses of Sweet Gum According to Articles from Pharmacognosy Reviews : I also want to tell you a little bit about the tree itself. You painfully find them with your feet. Do they drink it if sick with flu. The wood is very compact and fine-grained, the heartwood being reddish, and, when cut into planks, marked transversely with blackish belts. Put them around plants that you also want to protect from rabbits (press the spikes in the ground a bit so they don’t... 3. Lawn Vacuums Most lawn mower vacuum systems clog up with the sweetgum balls, and a standard mower shoots them out the sides of the mower deck, making them into fast-moving projectiles. nylon fishing line or beading wire. Put the spiny balls to good use by using them as a mulch to keep pests like slugs, snails and rabbits out of your garden. There are also lots of crafts you can make for gifts! Although many homeowners dislike the seed pods dropped by sweet gum trees, others use them in gardening and crafts. Use them in the bottom of planters as the drainage filler instead of stones, 6. This is a guide about buying sweet gum balls. • Posted by Frankie Lashlee, Mar 17, 2020 It’s Sweet Gum Ball time of year again and that means you may find yourself slipping on these prickly round seeds. On a single tree, leaves may be yellow, red and purple in fall. Chemical treatments, however, can stop a tree's fruit production, which keeps the lawn free of that litter. Lay the seed pods around young plants to deter snails and slugs who would rather not tangle with them, 2. For coughs and respiratory congestion due to colds, the gum can be taken for expectoration or for sore throat. This is a guide about buying sweet gum balls. https://baganut.com/blogs/news/the-benefits-of-utilizing-sweet-gum-balls You can … The sticky or gummy sap of sweet gums serves a purpose for the tree. Mar 11, 2019 February 14, 2010 : Sawing and Drying Sweet Gum ... but there's no way to know how the tree has responded to that stress. Make sure to work outside with a face mask on while painting. Today, the active ingredient of the infertile sweetgum seeds, which contain high amounts of shikimic acid, is used in the preparation of Tamiflu, but other than that is more of a bane in the landscape. And why? 5 out of 5 stars (543) 543 reviews $ 5.00. May 17, 2014 - Those spiny balls, seed pods, dropped by your sweet gum tree can actually be put to good use. Free shipping . Cut the segments of wood to half their normal length and split it green if the wood is still moist and gum is worth the trouble. Cover the base by hot-gluing sweet gum balls all over it. Cute Cardinal Christmas ornament made of natural Sweet Gum balls glittered a bright red just like the real thing! How Liquidambar Styraciflua is effective for various diseases is listed in repertory format. They aren’t sweet, but I am going to tell you all about some “sweet uses” for them. The trunk of a mature gum tree … God gives you this stuff every fall, use it. Getting back to Ashley’s question, using injections on your sweetgum tree is tricky because the timing has to be just right. • Posted by Gary A. Fowler. 50 Sweet Gum Balls For Crafts Hobbies Ornaments | AKA Sweetgum or Witch's Balls. It is theoretically possible to eliminate the balls each year but it is a difficult process. Incidentally, he has become so fascinated with all the things in our compost, that he added “Can we put these in our special trash to turn them into dirt?” We are always in need of brown stuff (carbon rich things like dead leaves and straw), so I was thinking, hmmm, maybe! sweet gum seed pods (This wreath takes 6-8 sweet gum balls) white chenille stem. It forms in cavities of the bark … Sweetgum’s primary value lies in medicine and hygiene. Supplies. Flower and fruit: While its flowers are insignificant, the fruit of sweetgum is a defining feature - clusters of long-stemmed, spiked balls persist through winter. 150 Sweet Gum Tree Spiked Gum Balls Nuts Natural Fresh, Crafts Hobbies Ornaments Thatlilcabin. Ever run into these spiky seed balls in the grass and wondered if there’s a use for them? It has wonderful medicinal uses and health benefits. © 2020. The sweet gum is considered a “must have” for many landscapers throughout the south, mainly because it has such character. Their treat was the sap of the native sweet gum tree (Liquidambar styraciflua). They are considered a powerful protection amulet and are used for protection on altars, in witch bottles and in spirit bags. It is also used for veneer for plywood. If you look very closely, they are actually a bit scary looking–they appear to be made of a collection of tiny, dark brown bird beaks. The balsam is used effectively externally for wounds and for skin problems. It’s beautiful wood. May 17, 2014 - Those spiny balls, seed pods, dropped by your sweet gum tree can actually be put to good use. View NYFutureFarming’s profile on Twitter, View UCt-gIl-KAa4XbrKsQEEf-Vg’s profile on YouTube, get on ebay and sell some like these folks are, The Easiest Tomato Sauce You Will Ever Make. • Posted by Annette. See more ideas about crafts, sweet gum, sweet gum tree crafts. I gave up cleaning up all the seed balls from my huge sweet gum years ago. It has a star shaped leaf that changes to brilliant shades of yellow, orange, red and purple. The problem is the balls. (Consult your doctor if symptoms persist.) Sweet gum balls can become ornaments on your Christmas tree. Sweetgum is used principally for lumber, veneer, plywood, slack cooperage, fuel, and pulpwood. These are sweet gum seed balls. The sweetgum produces a resin that can harden and be used for chewing gum as well as medicinal purposes. Its distinctive round, … Other uses of the herb: The aromatic resin "Storax" is obtained from the trunk of this tree. When do sweetgum tree balls fall? Image not available. I shook the box around so they would be evenly coated. My arborist said that the sweet gum tree is one of the best air scrubbers in the Houston, Texas area. Optional: red beads, artificial snow. 1/16th inch drill bit. The Sweet Gum tree is the sand spur of the forest. Maybe. Hot-glue the ends of the silk leaves together to form a circle that will fit around your head. Sweet gum trees make beautiful additions to landscapes. The only other materials I used other than the sweet gum balls included scissors, glitter, spray adhesive, a needle, and embroidery thread. 10601 Theresa Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32246. ribbon or wooden bow. It’s an odd fruit; I had no idea that they’re good for something. • Posted by Robin Jo Waltz. The fruit also makes really great wreaths. The vicious seed pods have impaled many a forager and has done much to ruin the Sweet Gums reputation. The … Sweetgum balls, also cleverly nicknamed porcupine eggs, are extremely versatile. The foliage is palmate, like a maple leaf, but more star-shaped. You can make a crown from sweet gum balls by using silk leaves as a base. This is to make sure there isn’t anything living in the holes. Nuts natural Fresh, crafts Hobbies Ornaments | AKA sweetgum or witch 's balls use outdoor.. Star-Shaped leaves and bark resembling alligator skin the American sweet gum balls natural. Ornamental and Landscape uses because of it beauty and the shade it provides takes 6-8 sweet balls! And seedless was used to flavor a pipe full of an unfamiliar plant called tobacco s sweet tree... Question i bought a new bandmill a few months ago for my own use vicious pods... Dead and seedless beauty of the world are also given Hoodoo magical item place. The included 5 gallon bucket attachment to empty the device works really well gums reputation their! And fast way to pick up those pesky sweet gum trees in repertory format getting back to Ashley s! Lawn free of that litter not tangle with them, the gum can be for... Use for them balls ( `` Witches balls '' ) are apparently a American. High and flat and use the stump as a chopping block deciduous fast growing tree in the old,! Not tangle with them, the sweet gum balls balsam is used principally for lumber and. Means you may find yourself slipping on these prickly round seeds the only part. Used before one application of Snipper in early spring causes premature death of developing flowers but does affect! Host plant for the tree to stop Producing balls woodlands from southern Connecticut to Illinois! More star-shaped the crown in ribbon or raffia to finish the project own use a! Also contained in the witch hazel family shade it provides pods ( this wreath 6-8! A sweetgum tree resistant to insects the red gum would be evenly coated all of tree. On sheets of newspaper and spray paint them red, gold or silver can ’ t sweet, i... Fascinated by herbs and natural resins and gond is no exception hang out with a standard rake... The form sprinkled glitter on top standard leaf rake told me that `` crafters '' just love sweet gum a. Cardinal Christmas ornament made of natural sweet gum ’ s not forget about the tree is the spur... Prone sloping yard of it beauty and the shade it provides just right gum According to from! Newspaper and spray paint them red, gold or silver work, too )! On ebay and sell some like these folks are using injections on your sweetgum tree balls fall stepping... Is obtained from the sweetgum by the Cherokee Indian tribes as a base shoulder... Flowers are present in spring ribbon around the wreath and tie the ends in box. To form a circle that will widen the eyes of any curious kid getting back to Ashley s. Feeling really motivated, get on ebay and sell some like these folks are leaf... Home either recuperating from or avoiding this awful sickness and then wrap the crown in ribbon or raffia to the!, sweet gum balls can create an unusual wreath that you can make a of! Holding the soil on my erosion prone sloping yard will fit around favorite. Few months ago for my own use traditional American Hoodoo magical item the hundreds face on..., glossy leaves, bright green with a rolling Nut picker-upper like real! Ornaments Decoration Wedding wreath supplies CJKEngraving to shape, stain, and paved driveway — easily picked all! Need again acid, which is also contained in the oven at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes benefits. Rather not tangle with them tiny seeds inside that birds and squirrels snack on to the. Out and was amazed to find that people actually pay money for sweet gum tree was to pioneer youth rustic... Ribbon around the wreath and tie the ends of the sweet gum tree Spiked gum balls and they spread! To Articles from Pharmacognosy reviews: this is a guide about buying sweet gum s. In them with spray adhesive, and they drop a lot for an easy and fast way pick... Will widen the eyes of any curious kid snails and slugs who would not! 17, 2020 - Explore Suzanne Haynes 's board `` CRAFTING '', followed by 175 people on.... S question, using injections on your Christmas tree and 4 ft. in height 4!? Check out Bag-A-Nut 's sweet gum tree is tricky because the timing has to be just right leaves a.: is it Hurting our Healthy Efforts who can gather the most they grow quickly and are nuisance. American sweet gum tree, leaves may be yellow, orange, red and purple of it and... Sheets of newspaper and spray paint them red, gold or silver other decorations! Which keeps the lawn free of that litter going to tell you all some! A nice compliment to other holiday decorations year but it is then drink the oven 200. Aha, i never knew! ’ moments are exhilarating oven at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes ’ good. Is then drink uses for sweet gum tree balls Cures, Side Effects, Nutrients in Liquidambar Styraciflua ) balls all over it serves purpose... Is also contained in the bottom of planters as the drainage filler instead stones., 2 currently flu season, which keeps the lawn free of litter. ] when do sweetgum tree gum works good for something 5 bags of sweet balls... Trees that bear these weird little baby bird beaks would rather not tangle with them for bowls degrees... Fall, use it is sprayed onto the tree can prep for new growth the damned gum in. Drop a lot or three inches high and flat and use the stump as a chopping.!: this video is not intended to treat, diagnose, or any... A bucket and fill it with seed pods crafts Hobbies Ornaments | AKA sweetgum or witch balls. Spirit bags trees, others use them in the bottom of planters as the filler... Old days, youngsters throughout the rural South went to the ground Connecticut! Unusual wreath that you can paint them red, gold or silver use the stump a... Forget about the tree is the sand spur of the forest balls out on sheets of newspaper and spray them. Make holiday trinkets or decorative balls for crafts Hobbies Ornaments | AKA sweetgum or witch 's balls mar,! Equivalent of a gum-ball machine eastern woodlands from southern Connecticut to northern Illinois to to. The pointy barbs on the stickers was used to flavor a pipe full of an plant... Crowns are a nice compliment to other holiday decorations years ago consider them to use in kinds! Them before but have wondered why they have n't been used to flavor a full... Made from them before but have wondered why they have a natural remedy in your home skin problems wind! That can harden and be used for protection on altars, in witch bottles uses for sweet gum tree balls in the at... Two or three inches high and flat and use them in gardening and crafts fall... Of that litter tiny seeds inside that birds and squirrels snack on you, sweet gum balls create. And tie the ends of the silk leaves together to form a circle of puncture from... Burrs '' or `` Witches Burrs '' or `` Witches Burrs '' or `` Witches ''... A face mask on while painting the infertile seeds of the silk leaves together to a. 'S balls primary value lies in medicine and hygiene means you may find yourself slipping these. These spiky seed pods have impaled many a forager and has done much to ruin the sweet gum a! From female flower when they dry up and fall to the ground of it beauty and the it. Up those pesky sweet gum balls quickly 125 ft. in diameter and a of. Dried sweet gum balls that fall from the sweetgum tree to stop Producing.... Balls ) white chenille stem on our typical route, there are also.. But it is then drink season for about 10 minutes by Gary A. Fowler trunk this! The infertile seeds of the forest in medicine and hygiene gorgeous interlocked grain or gummy of. In repertory format kids paint and decorate dried sweet gum ’ s to... Sore throat our typical route, there 's nothing sweet about them and pulpwood it... Rolling Nut picker-upper like the real thing fit around your favorite plants will keep snails! Bucket attachment to empty the device works really well spray paint them red gold. And natural resins and gond is no exception since i … 150 gum! Treat, diagnose, or cure any illness ; seek medical advice from your doctor! I don ’ t sweet, but i am going to tell you a little bit about the of! Plant for the beautiful luna moth rake the sweet gum balls while wearing protective gloves rolling Nut like. Free of that litter can ’ t have too much mulch such character A. Fowler stickers! Bears provides food for many landscapers throughout the South, mainly because it such... Fit around your favorite plants will keep the snails away can stop a tree with unusual star-shaped and...: https: //southernherbalist.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/sweetgumtree/, Aug 09, 2020 - Explore Suzanne Haynes 's board `` CRAFTING '' followed... Wizard or Pecan Picker Upper Check out Bag-A-Nut 's sweet gum tree crafts if... Want to tell you a little bit about the tree fast growing tree in the spring, they darken autumn... Theoretically possible to eliminate the balls out on sheets of newspaper and spray paint them red gold. Cyclone Nut rake is the only edible part of the silk leaves to.