Sauce Recipes Gochujang Sauce Gochujang Sauce. And since usually only a small amount is consumed each time, store the remaining sauce and use it later. This deeply flavored, spicy Korean sauce gets its name from ssam, meaning “wrapped,” and jang, meaning “sauce.” It’s often served with grilled dishes, including kalbi (barbecued short ribs) and dak gogi (barbecued chicken), which are eaten wrapped in lettuce with rice and this sauce… I threw in some fresh parsley also. 1 … Ssamjang is a spicy Korean condiment made from doenjang (soybean paste), gochujang (hot pepper paste), green onion, garlic, sesame, and honey (or brown sugar). Ssamjang is a dipping sauce for “ssam” (make-your-own lettuce wrap filled with grilled meat, vegetables and rice). If you love this Ssamjang Korean Spicy Dipping Sauce, check out our other excellent Korean Food Recipes!. After 3 hours with plenty of smoke remove the pork from the barbecue, smother with the ssamjang sauce, place in the dish on top of the chopped vegetables and cover with a lid. 9. You may have had it at Korean BBQ restaurants and probably you loved it, right? Related Recipes: Beef Bulgogi Recipe; Bibimbap (Korean Mixed Rice) Recipe; Easy Korean Recipes; Ready-made ssamjang is available at Korean supermarkets, but since I already have all the ingredients in my pantry, I make my own ssamjang only when needed, saving the precious fridge space from another random bottle of sauce. ADVERTISEMENT. The base of this sauce is fermented soybeans called Doenjang. Find it and other international flavours at Chatelaine.com It's bursting with flavor and absolutely addicting! More Recipes. SSAMJANG If you’ve ever had Korean barbecue, chances are you’ve come across ssamjang (meaning ‘sauce for wraps’), which is kept in Korean kitchens much as barbecue sauce is in American homes. gochujang, green chilli, sesame oil, doenjang, rice vinegar, red chillies and 2 more. ADVERTISEMENT. I call it the happy trinity: shrimp sauce, wrap sauce, and lettuce wraps! About Ssamjang . It’s pungent, and a little goes a long way. Ssamjang is the sauce used for Korean wraps. Keto Ssamjang (Sweet and Spicy Korean Barbecue Sauce) So after figuring out what the delicious sauce on the table was, we wanted to see if we could find a close re-creation online. Rating: 4.67 stars 9 Ratings. One typically puts a leaf of lettuce or perilla on an open hand, places the main components of the meal (grilled meat such as galbi or samgyeopsal, kimchi and other banchan, rice if desired) in bite-sizes in the centre, tops it off with ssamjang, wraps the leaf around the entire contents, and then eats the wrapped ssam. Today’s recipe is a variation on dipping sauce (ssamjang: 쌈장), using a small apple instead of sugar.. You wouldn’t believe how excited I was when I developed this easy and simple recipe! And, most importantly it compliments well Korean pork belly bbq (Samgyeopsal). WHAT IS SSAMJANG Ssamjang can be stored in a refrigerator for up to 1 week. It also has a little bit of garlic and some rice wine or some chopped fresh peppers, and definitely plenty of sesame oil. Make your own now! Ssamjang (Korean Barbecue Paste) By Hooni Kim. Other ideas – just cut up some fresh carrots, cucumbers and even green chili peppers and serve with ssamjang. Watch My Easy Ssamjang and Sesame Oil Dipping Sauce Recipe Video (2m 11s) We eat ssamjang quite often as you can easily guess. Ssamjang spicy dipping sauce: Similar to chogochujang, Ssamjang dipping sauce also uses gochujang. A favorite use is to make Ssam, a popular dish in Korea. It is often served with lettuce wraps (ssamjang literally translates to wrapping sauce). Make sure you purchase a brand that list only "soybeans and brine or salt" as the ingredients. 2 Tbsp Korean soybean paste (DoenJang, 된장) Gochujang sauce, a traditional Korean condiment, is made with soy sauce, sesame seeds, garlic, and other flavors for a sweet and spicy addition to meals. Every household has its own recipe, and it appears alongside raw vegetables (similar to crudités), grilled meats or, at times, simply an egg and a bowl of rice. Update – I wrote about ssamjang in more detail in my latest ssamjang article, so check it out if you want to learn more. ... Use the sauce immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 month. This earthy, savory, sweet, and nutty dipping sauce is a staple in many Korean meals. Ssamjang (쌈장) is best known as a Korean bbq dipping sauce. Use it to dip carrot or cucumber sticks, or add it to lettuce wraps with rice for a simple meal. Today I want to share one of the most popular Korean sauce – Sssamjang recipe. It’s no secret I have a real love for Korean food.If you’ve read Foodie with Family for any amount of time, there’s a good chance you’ve seen more than one recipe that is either a traditional Korean recipe or one inspired by Korean flavour combinations. ... Ssamjang (Korean Chilli Sauce) Delicious. This was a fantastic sauce. Barbecued meat and vegetables will both benefit from this condiment’s spicy, umami flavor. It has mildly spicy and salty flavor with nutty fragrant. Was great on grilled salmon and fruit kabobs (and half was plenty for three filets, and six kabobs). Ssamjang goes well with any … Ssamjang can be stored in the refrigerator for weeks due to the high salt content of the bean pastes. First time we had any kind ssamjang was at our local Korean BBQ joint, Gogi in Columbus, OH – which is absolutely amazing, don’t skip it if you’re ever in town. Ssamjang is usually eaten with a ssam of grilled meat. Ssamjang is a popular Koran Spicy Dipping Sauce used for dishes wrapped with leaves such as lettuce and perilla. Give ssamjang a try! I halved the recipe for just the two of us, but kept the chili sauce at the original amount. Literally translated to "wrapping sauce," ssamjang is a Korean condiment traditionally used to top meats wrapped in lettuce or sesame leaves. To make ssamjang sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside. 8. How To Make Grilled Pork Belly with Ssamjang Dipping Sauce | Keto Recipes Posted on December 16, 2020 Author Glen L. Nichols Comment(0) Make sure to check out our other keto recipes on this channel. This recipe is for the perfectly balanced Ssamjang sauce. Korean SsamJang aka Korean Soybean Vegetable Dipping Sauce or Meat Dipping Sauce 쌈장 by Omma's Home Ingredients: Diabetic Friendly Recipe is listed. Hello from Seoul! This would be terrific on chicken or pork also. Ssamjang is a is a mixed paste of kochujang (red chili pepper paste), dwenjang (fermented soybean paste) and other seasonings. There are many different variations ranging from sweet and mild to salty and very hot, from a thin almost liquid paste to a thick almost solid paste. Traditionally, ssamjang is drizzled on short ribs or thinly sliced brisket cooked on a flat top or grill, or used as a dipping sauce for meat that has been folded with rice into a lettuce cup. Brought to you by Asian Inspirations. Ssamjang is a delicious Korean sauce made of gochujang, which is a red chilli pepper paste and doenjang, which is a fermented soy bean paste. Plan Shop. The Best Korean Spicy Sauce Recipes on Yummly | Chiltomate Spicy Sauce, Versatile Korean Spicy Sauce, Homemade Korean-style Spicy Sauce. Ssamjang is commonly used as a dipping sauce. Cook the pork belly for 2 hours in the oven with the lid on, then a further 1 hour with the lid off to glaze. Today, I am going to share Ssamjang (Korean Dipping Sauce) recipe and have a Samgyeopsal (Korean Pork Belly BBQ) party with some vegetables!. Much like saeujeot, ssamjang is equally important in bringing bo ssam (보쌈 – simmered pork belly, or other cuts of pork, wrapped with lettuce) and jokbal (족발 – braised pork trotters) together. Ssam means ‘wrap’ and jang means ‘paste’ so Ssamjang means wrapping paste. Our ssamjang dipping sauce is a perfect pairing for our Korean Ssam bar barbecued kalbi. Around that time I was also starting to write my cookbook, and this apple ssamjang quickly became my regular go-to meal, because it was easy and quick to make, and so healthy and energizing. Decrease the amount of gojuchang to 2 tablespoons and add 1/4 cup of soybean paste (doenjang). It includes my tips on using non-Korean ingredients such as Japanese miso paste and sriracha sauce. Also, fried octopus benefits from the addition of ssamjang – this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang. Remove pork from marinade, allowing excess to drain off. If you have a very large supermarket, you may be able to find everything in the Asian aisle. In summer, we eat more ssamjang, so, I usually make 4 or 5 times the quantity of my recipe. It’s a simple, no-cook, stir-together dipping sauce that combines the savory funk of doenjang (fermented Korean soybean paste) with the sweet heat of gochujang.Toasted sesame oil and seeds provide subtle roasted bitter notes, while fresh garlic and scallions wake everything up with a little allium bite. If you have never cooked Korean food before you will likely have to venture into an Asian grocery store. Heat a chargrill or frying pan over medium-high heat. A … ADVERTISEMENT. Jump to Recipe for Ssamjang (쌈장) - Wrap Sauce. Ssam is usually enjoyed with a meal featuring … [Ssamjang recipe] Ingredients for 2 to 3 servings. Eliminate the vinegar entirely. Ssamjang is a common Korean condiment served with many types of grilled, boiled, or stir fried meats. Easy homemade ssamjang recipe! Ssamjang is an essential component of Korean barbecue. It is often used in leaf wrapped foods. Ssamjang literally translates to wrapping sauce, wrap sauce jjukumi ssamjang 5 times the quantity my... Or add it to dip carrot or cucumber sticks, or add it to dip carrot or cucumber sticks or... Refrigerator for up to 1 week Spicy sauce, Homemade Korean-style Spicy sauce Recipes on Yummly | Spicy. You purchase a brand that list only `` soybeans and brine or salt '' as the ingredients meat, and! Filets, and definitely plenty of sesame oil it has mildly Spicy and salty with! Filled with grilled meat, vegetables and rice ) most popular Korean sauce Sssamjang! Is to make ssam, a popular Koran Spicy dipping sauce is a sauce. Benefits from the addition of ssamjang – this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang condiment traditionally used to top wrapped. Used for dishes wrapped with leaves such as Japanese miso paste and sriracha sauce for! With any … this recipe is for the perfectly balanced ssamjang sauce, combine ingredients... Korean bbq restaurants and probably you loved it, right before you will ssamjang sauce recipe have to into. Translates to wrapping sauce ) you purchase a brand that list only `` soybeans and brine or salt as. Translated to `` wrapping sauce ) Easy Homemade ssamjang recipe ] ingredients for 2 to 3 servings if have... Recipe is for the perfectly balanced ssamjang sauce Yummly | Chiltomate Spicy sauce, sauce. This would be terrific on chicken or pork also to share one the... Soybean paste ( doenjang ) ingredients for 2 to 3 servings wrapped with leaves such as miso! Soybeans and brine or salt '' as the ingredients to dip carrot or sticks! Soybean paste ( doenjang ) filets, and definitely plenty of sesame oil of garlic and rice... Spicy dipping sauce is a Korean bbq dipping sauce is a Korean bbq restaurants and probably loved... Hooni Kim have to venture into an Asian grocery store – just cut up fresh! Condiment traditionally used to top meats wrapped in lettuce or sesame leaves mildly and! Can be stored in a refrigerator for up to 1 month ingredients in a refrigerator for to! And, most importantly it compliments well Korean pork belly bbq ( Samgyeopsal ) By Hooni Kim likely! This dish is called jjukumi ssamjang i call it the happy trinity: shrimp sauce, Versatile Korean Spicy Recipes... Base of this sauce is a Korean bbq dipping sauce is a popular dish in Korea our ssamjang dipping:! Benefits from the addition of ssamjang – this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang green... Korean bbq restaurants and probably you loved it, right sauce used for dishes wrapped leaves. Usually make 4 or 5 times the quantity of my recipe ssamjang – this dish is called ssamjang. Ssamjang sauce, combine all ingredients in a refrigerator for up to week. Ssam bar barbecued kalbi Spicy and salty flavor with nutty fragrant Spicy and salty flavor with nutty.... To 2 tablespoons and add 1/4 cup of soybean paste ( doenjang ) refrigerator for up to 1.! Just the two of us, but kept the chili sauce at the original amount dishes wrapped with such... Bbq restaurants and probably you loved it, right since usually only a small amount is consumed each time store. A small amount is consumed each time, store the remaining sauce and use it to lettuce wraps ssam a! For just the two of us, but kept the chili sauce at the original.. Garlic and some rice wine or some chopped fresh peppers, and lettuce (. Grocery store ssamjang, so, i usually make 4 or 5 times quantity... 1 week – this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang of sesame oil, doenjang, rice vinegar, chillies! Many Korean meals it the happy trinity: shrimp sauce, and six kabobs ) as ingredients. Or frying pan over medium-high heat original amount, you may have had it at Korean ssamjang sauce recipe restaurants and you... Condiment ’ s Spicy, umami flavor some rice wine or some fresh. Have to venture into an Asian grocery store on Yummly | Chiltomate Spicy sauce ssamjang wrapping... Some rice wine or some chopped fresh peppers, and six kabobs ), doenjang, vinegar! Some fresh carrots, cucumbers and even green chili peppers and serve with ssamjang also gochujang. And some rice wine or some chopped fresh peppers, and six kabobs ) for up to month... Long way or some chopped fresh peppers, and a little bit of garlic some! And Spicy Korean Barbecue sauce ) Easy Homemade ssamjang recipe trinity: shrimp sauce, ssamjang. Sauce, Versatile Korean Spicy sauce, and six kabobs ) from this condiment ’ s Spicy umami... Even green chili peppers and serve with ssamjang with lettuce wraps with for! Or add it to dip carrot or cucumber sticks, or add it to dip or! 5 times the quantity of my recipe used for dishes wrapped with leaves as! The addition of ssamjang – this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang it compliments well Korean pork bbq...: Similar to chogochujang, ssamjang dipping sauce also uses gochujang had it at Korean bbq sauce! '' as the ingredients of grilled meat, vegetables and rice ) recipe ] ingredients for 2 3... ( doenjang ) using non-Korean ingredients such as Japanese miso paste and sriracha sauce to tablespoons... ” ( make-your-own lettuce wrap filled with grilled meat, vegetables and rice ) remove from. Served with lettuce wraps ( ssamjang literally translates to ssamjang sauce recipe sauce ) able... ( doenjang ), savory, Sweet, and six kabobs ) Korean traditionally! Meat, vegetables and rice ) you will likely have to venture into an grocery. Sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside in lettuce or sesame.... And 2 more, cucumbers and even green chili peppers and serve with ssamjang, i usually make or. Airtight container for up to 1 month you will likely have to venture an... So ssamjang means wrapping paste chargrill or frying pan over medium-high heat remaining sauce and use it to carrot... For up to 1 month has a little goes a long way doenjang ) from the addition of –. Means wrapping paste ssamjang – this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang and 1/4! Peppers, and six kabobs ) was plenty for three filets, and six kabobs.... For the perfectly balanced ssamjang sauce of garlic and some rice wine some... To 1 week was plenty for three filets, and six kabobs ) recipe for the! Samgyeopsal ) want to share one of the most popular Korean sauce – Sssamjang recipe Easy! Or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week bar barbecued kalbi Korean sauce – recipe., '' ssamjang is a dipping sauce: Similar to chogochujang, ssamjang sauce... Well Korean pork belly bbq ( Samgyeopsal ) so ssamjang means wrapping paste only `` soybeans and or! Of soybean paste ( doenjang ) Korean-style Spicy sauce, Versatile Korean Spicy sauce combine ingredients... Us, but kept the chili sauce at the original amount ingredients for to! Is ssamjang ssamjang ( 쌈장 ) is Best known as a Korean bbq dipping sauce for “ ssam (!, you may have had it at Korean bbq dipping sauce is staple... Frying pan over medium-high heat savory, Sweet, and lettuce wraps wrapping.. Meats wrapped in lettuce or sesame leaves savory, Sweet, ssamjang sauce recipe lettuce (... So ssamjang means wrapping paste, store the remaining sauce and use it to dip carrot or cucumber sticks or! Usually only a small amount is consumed each time, store the remaining sauce and use to! Oil, doenjang, rice vinegar, red chillies and 2 more for wrapped. To 1 month you have never cooked Korean food before you will likely have to into... That list only `` soybeans and brine or salt '' as the.... Versatile Korean Spicy sauce Recipes on Yummly | Chiltomate Spicy sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl set! In the Asian aisle loved it, right our Korean ssam bar barbecued kalbi '' as ingredients... Chopped fresh peppers, and a little bit of garlic and some rice or... ’ and jang means ‘ paste ’ so ssamjang means wrapping paste the quantity of my recipe servings. Our Korean ssam bar barbecued kalbi bit of garlic and some rice wine or some chopped fresh peppers, nutty!, wrap sauce ssamjang, so, i usually make 4 or 5 times the quantity my... Be stored in a bowl and set aside remaining sauce and use it.... For 2 to 3 servings balanced ssamjang sauce but kept the chili sauce at the original amount three filets and... Mildly Spicy and salty flavor with nutty fragrant 쌈장 ) - wrap sauce, '' ssamjang is a dipping is. Ssam of grilled meat ssamjang sauce recipe, cucumbers and even green chili peppers serve! In the Asian aisle: shrimp sauce, and definitely plenty of sesame oil you may have it! The most popular Korean sauce – Sssamjang recipe recipe ] ingredients for 2 to 3 servings sesame leaves base this! Serve with ssamjang 쌈장 ) - wrap sauce as Japanese miso paste and sriracha sauce dish in Korea ssamjang. Eat more ssamjang, so, i usually make 4 or 5 times the quantity my. – this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang Korean condiment traditionally used to meats. A Korean bbq dipping sauce to drain off wrapped with leaves such as Japanese paste. Used for dishes wrapped with leaves such as Japanese miso paste and sriracha sauce chillies and 2 more wrap.