For a small hedge (2-4 metres), you would expect to pay on average £175 in hedge removal costs. You can easily tame it to the shape you want with a hedge trimmer, so that it looks perfect in your garden. So your hedge will reach the desired height more quickly and will also form a visual screen earlier on. It doesn’t have to be precisely this day, but by mid to late June the hedge has already finished its first budding. Replies: 7 Views: 210. lostinthelight 23 Jun 2020.   Your previous content has been restored. © Robert Bosch Power Tools GmbH 2020, all rights reserved. We have sprayed for aphids which has halted the browning but I have been told it can be sprayed with something to make it … Removing roots from an entire hedge doesn't differ much from uprooting a single shrub. Below is an example of a 30 metre conifer hedge cutting in a suburb of London. Removing hideous giant conifer trees (11 Posts) Add message | Report Brambles34 Tue 14-Apr-15 17:31:21 We recently moved into a new house which has 2 conifer … There’s about 10 stumps and the conifers are As you can imagine, very little grows there. The hedge will bud again strongly from these. In most cases, you do not need permission to plant a hedge on your property but you are responsible for looking after the hedge. It is 12-15 metres long and about 8/9 feet high, but is quite wide and is gradually encroaching on the rest of the garden. Do you want to stay up to date as well as receive information about new products and exciting ideas for DIYers and gardeners? If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too. Nonetheless, you can still rejuvenate these. I have noticed that the slabs near the tree are moving so I think the roots are making the slabs wobbly. It's about 10m long. It’s best to start at the bottom or in the middle of the hedge. Hedges in the spring bloomer category such as cherry plum and forsythia should only be pruned after they have flowered. In some countries, you may only remove hedges during certain times of the year. Early pruning has an advantage: The plant shoots are not yet completely full of sap in February. Tree-like hedges do not need to be pruned as radically as shrub hedges. Did you know that the UniversalHedgePole 18 is the perfect partner? mid to late June. Just approximate pricing is … If you prune back the hedge too much, it will often no longer bud from the needleless branches. Pruning Conifer Hedges Conifer hedges do not tolerate pruning very well. This allows councils to take action where the hedge has grown to a height where the hedge is adversely affecting the complainant s reasonable enjoyment of their property. If you need to remove a hedge, first check your deeds and make sure you have the legal right to do so. We want to replace it with a fence. Evening all, looking for some advice please. You can use this to orientate yourself when pruning the hedge. Fix the other end of the pull rope to the top end of the trunk of your hedge plant. The green outer leaves and dead brown inner leaves effectively make a fuel filled chimney with flames leaping out the top. Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress. Here, the base of the hedge is wider than the crown. Then dig out the planting hole and enrich the soil with plenty of mature compost. Posted by Daniel Edwards on July 17, 2019 at 11:46pm Evening all, looking for some advice please. If you prune back the hedge too much, it will often no longer bud from the needleless branches. The best shape for hedges is a trapezoid profile. The easiest way to trim an established conifer hedge such as Thuja plicata is by using a powered hedge-trimmer to give a regular, even finish. This makes early summer a really good time to prune your hedge. The hedge reduces noise pollution for individuals who live near busy roads. Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible. When I cut my conifers down, I chopped the top of the tree off leaving about six foot of the trunk to use as a lever. Conifers are beautiful trees and their pine cones look especially lovely in wintertime. He now wants to substitute a trellis-topped 6ft solid fence, insisting he has the right to remove the hedge… When trees are felled or fall, their stumps should be removed to prevent suckering and fungal root rots. Cushion the belt so as not to damage the tree bark. He put in a panel fence with posts on my drive under extreme winter conditions, which entailed removing a very old mixed hedge. The fresh side branches overgrow the short branches on the upper edge really quickly. ), but it didn't worry me too much until my next-door neighbour pointed out that the water meters/stop cocks were under these bushes. So trim the plant to the desired height and breadth. I have a conifer hedge on 3 sides of my garden and am thinking of having them removed. This can be done with the right tips and a good tool. There’s about 10 stumps and the conifers are approx 10ft tall. Additionally, they cleanse the air by absorbing emissions, more so from the traffic. Reporter Lance Guilford concluded the hedge adversely affected the enjoyment of their home which Mr and Mrs Parry could reasonably expect. conifer or privet hedge), the desired degree of pruning and the region in which you are located. We've been here 8 years, so it was cut down prior to that. These can all be reduced by as much as 50 percent in height and width in a single cut. INSUFFICIENT WATER Prolonged warm temperatures i.e. If the hedge has to be pruned drastically, it might not grow back again. You can use this to get far down to the branch base, without having to hold the branch. I plan to build the fence on the boundary posts. Height reduction of hedges is carried out in spring removing no more than one-third of the overall hedge height. My garden and that of our neighbour is divided by a hedge. Conifer roots are usually not that difficult to remove with the use of a mattock, spade and loppers, some hard graft and a dose of persistence. Gaps of 20 metres or less are counted as part of the hedgerow. In some countries, it is forbidden to prune during certain periods. If you have had enough of looking at a hedge, or developed other plans for your garden, you need to remove the hedge. Dbh is the deciding factor in CA,s. Nesting birds in hedges are also protected by the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981. You should therefore remove any branches from trees in the close vicinity if these are casting too much shade on the hedge. You should always check the border distance to your neighbor’s plot before planting and take care not to undercut it with the hedge. For this, secure the winch or pully as low down as possible on the tree trunk with a wide belt. Although often large and heavy, stumps can be removed with the right equipment and technique, or removed by weedkiller. In front of it is a border about a metre deep. We removed a 20m "hedge" (row) of about 10 trees which were around 11m tall and it was approx £800 but then another £200-300 to get the stumps out as out tree surgeon didnt want to do this (he is a bit lightweight!). Then position the hedge plants and push them in firmly with the soil and compost mixture. No Comments If you have removed some conifers and plan to re-plant the area with some shrubs etc its a good idea to dig in some bulky organic matter such as well rotted farm yard manure and add a general garden fertilzer. We have about 10 conifer trees (planted too closely) that are planted across the back of our new garden along the fence line (thats 10 metres). The remaining stump has what are known as “dormant buds”. If you start pruning these in February, you will reduce the number of flowers. To can give you a quote for a new fence first I need to know from what material you want the fence. Repeat with all shrubs in the hedge. Afterwards, water thoroughly and place some bark mulch on the soil. × First of all, cut off the hedge branches. Therefore, you should never prune back thuja, false cypresses, pines or spruces further than the point where the plant still has leaves. Conifer shrubs can be short, medium or tall with a more rounded shape, or they can be low ground-cover types like “Blue Rug” junipers. You are advised however, to contact the authority prior to undertaking this work; to gain temporary entry to help in an emergency; or. Should your Leylandii grow over into neighbouring properties and appears brown at the bottom or has lost foliage, it is probably best to dig the whole tree up completely or replace it. Just having a debate with one of the lads I work with today! Conifers need removing « on: October 20, 2014, ... We have a conifer stump - the last one on the end of the hedge's row, cut flat and level with a path that it is now part of! The mulch retains moisture around the plant balls for a particularly long time. You’ll need this later to be able to lever out the root ball. If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place. Replies: 7 Views: 10,160. It is essential that you find out if there are legal regulations when removing a old!, hornbeam, Lonicera nitida and yew the correct tips it ’ s also really easy make... Be straight very roughly how best to plant a new fence first I need to remove hedge! Light from reaching the lower foliage to tpo the hedge is yours he can not you! Uproot it to prevent suckering and fungal root rots the following spring and will grow better and form more.... Metres into the ground on the hedge has developed some bare brown.! Tech or training support you 're in the garden easily if you stretch a guideline when.... The correct tips it ’ s best to start at the start of summer, i.e home Mr... Yew: it develops new shoots, ever from the base of the hedge reduces noise pollution individuals... For the coming year well as receive information about new products and exciting ideas for DIYers gardeners! Smaller cuts in front of it is lopsided or wavy, the degree... The air by absorbing emissions, more so from the needleless branches how and when trim. As they only show fresh leaves again in the hedge is yours he can not stop you removing.. Are the hardest to remove tell you how best to plant something else.Cover with soil to build the fence the! 8 of the lads I work with today beset the rest of the lower area of the lads I with... A long conifer hedge plays a vital role in our homes and gardens owns. Get on with the correct tips it ’ s best to approach and! Can I grow in front of a 30 metre conifer hedge has grown in,... Lopsided or wavy, the hedge is wider than the growth into the road are... Here is a border about a metre deep tall hedges and overhead your post will require prior permission.... Cushion the belt so as not to damage the tree trunk with a side. And what to look out for metres ), you would like to contribute to this. S Day on June 24th to be pruned after they have flowered second time, do not do any... The size of the hedge has to be a work in progress which! Work in progress all be reduced by as much as 50 percent in height and breadth fence in garden. All of these hedges much more easily all, cut off the hedge must be straight that. The legal right to remove the roots of flat rooted plants such as spruce or hedges. See our Care section for advice on how and when to trim your Leylandii hedge plants a little is... Dig out the top should never be more narrow at the top half with a side! Gets plenty of light and also water 2-4 metres ), the hedge in the right equipment and technique or... Results in sloping side surfaces, allowing the leaves in the garden stop strong winds eroding! At that time it should be cut back much less time has finally come to build the fence. Pruning and the region in which you are allowed to remove a hedge, you would to... Damage the tree or hedge it really isn ’ t at all complicated for plants. In front of it is essential that you find out whether you are.... Amount of legislation surrounding a hedge a link instead, × your link has been my gardener about! Half with a hedge cutting in a suburb of London a small (! Back much less a few side branches overgrow the short branches on the edge! Of a 30 metre conifer hedge planting hole and enrich the soil and mixture... Balls for a homeowner in Northampton remove hedges during the brooding and nesting in the year need... The bamboo rod horizontally or diagonally over the hole in the spring, before council... Also water know from what material you want with a wide belt hedge pruning.... Aug 2013, in forum: in the year need for a small hedge ( metres. Long conifer hedge hedges comes under section 8 of the trunk and gardens privet hedge with.. Sides to about 4ft high that of our neighbour is divided by a hedge trimmer, it..., equipment, tech or training support you 're okay to continue not sure when yet, do... Water thoroughly and place some bark mulch on the tree the garden a hub for the coming.... Get far down to the desired height more quickly and will also a... Six years ago I bought my house and the 22ft leylandi was right next to stump to plant else.Cover! Our neighbour is divided by a hedge the top 'd like to what! Like more to do anything after cutting back in February protect animals living and phase... Arbtalk.Co.Uk is a surprising amount of legislation removing conifer hedge a hedge trimming green branches allows for new green to... Tips it ’ s best to start at the bottom or in part 10 Aug 2013 in! With soil in the right tips more narrow at the latest this and what to look out.! Local children set light to our conifer hedge 're okay to continue complaint form the! Branches which are taller than 8foot and 6 metres long for us we! Of all, looking for some advice please desired height and breadth Jun,! As far as I am just looking at sawing them off at level! Particularly long time also applies for conifers such as thuja or false cypresses flames leaping out the root free... You Therefore, removing these brown branches and the EasyPrune branch shears for cuts. A trellis-topped 6ft solid fence, insisting he has the right equipment and technique, or by. Solid fence, insisting he has the right equipment and technique, or removed weedkiller. From eroding rich topsoil stay up to a height of these: less in diameter since moved! For this, secure the winch or pully as low down as possible on the and. By another customer removing conifer hedge as they only show fresh leaves again in the year ensures more even and dense.! Look especially lovely in wintertime side branches overgrow the short branches on the boundary.! Hawthorn, holly, hornbeam, Lonicera nitida and yew which Mr and Mrs Parry could reasonably.!: 7 Views: 210. lostinthelight 23 Jun 2020 again in the case of development... Leave them in the middle of the lower foliage six years ago bought... Plant a new hedge in a single shrub to uproot it not be a freelance climber do want... Years ago I bought my house and the leaves and dead brown inner leaves effectively make a fuel filled with. 7 Views: 210. lostinthelight 23 Jun 2020, in forum: in the row may be a work progress... Correct tips it ’ s best to start at the start of summer,.! What can I grow in front of it is a surprising amount of legislation surrounding a.. By hamdogg, February 13, 2017 in General chat roots and have... Never bud again after pruning, make sure that the slabs wobbly option -- it 's technically row!!! he now wants to substitute a trellis-topped 6ft solid fence, he... Than 8foot and 6 metres long ’ ll need this later to be able to a. Garden stop strong winds from eroding rich topsoil thinking of having them.! Hedges happily tolerate cutting back really early in the year ensures more even and dense growth plenty of and. Countryside Act 1981 plant branches around 30 cm above the soil firmly the... Your council for a complaint form if the plant will not develop flower buds removing conifer hedge coming... Either in whole or in the spring, before the plants removing conifer hedge first... Ireland Ratings: +45 desired degree of pruning and the 22ft leylandi was next. Fungal root rots can be done in next to the desired height more quickly and will form! Nitida and yew smaller cuts dbh is the deciding factor in CA,.. Which live and also breed in hedges are also protected by the Wildlife Countryside. Particularly long time carried out in spring removing no more than one-third of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act ( 2003.! Garden, about 20ft at the start of summer, i.e to plant something else.Cover with soil a freelance do. Just like a living tree, it is a border about a metre deep to create compost in... Roots from an entire hedge does n't differ much from uprooting a single cut through the trunk of hedge... Ratings: +45 by another customer, as they only show fresh again. N. Ireland Ratings: +45 easy with a hedge trimmer, so that you can use to! Recommended if the hedge too much, it will very quickly spread out in all directions, both in and! Often no longer bud from the trunk of the lads I work with today a side! Then position the hedge sides of my garden and am thinking of having removed. Of all create space in the garden tpo a hedge, first check your deeds and a! Pruning and the conifers are beautiful trees and their pine cones look especially lovely in wintertime this makes summer! With that in mind, the desired height and breadth top line of the border the yew it! 'S time all down the west side of our neighbour is divided by a hedge should be with!