It is high in potassium (lower blood pressure), vitamin C (a powerful antioxidant), and phytonutrients like glucosinolates, (may have anti-cancer, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic and antibacterial benefits). We love Colavita! © 2020 Kosher Network International, LLC. Jul 28, 2015 - Summer is the perfect time for crisp, cooling kohlrabi (a relative of cabbage). Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Season to taste with salt, pepper and honey. This slaw has just the right mix of vinegar-sugar-mayo with a healthy dose of dry mustard for the kick that I love. It's crisp and juicy and makes a fantastic creamy slaw. This Southern Style Kohlrabi Slaw is a simple tangy sweet creamy concoction with a little spice kick to keep it interesting. Combined with the kohlrabi, carrot, scallion and yellow pepper, it came out very tasty AND very colorful (almost confetti-ish, I must say). Use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. You will not EVER see me buy slaw dressing. I have been making slaw out of pretty much anything and everything this summer. It's tossed in a creamy cilantro jalapeno lime dressing. You cannot have a Kohlrabi Slaw (or any slaw for that matter) without a delicious dressing to go with it. Eaten raw, it’s fresh, crisp, and the ideal ingredient for a summer slaw. Give the vegetables a little rinse and squeeze out any excess water with a clean cloth, then tip into a bowl. With winter out of the way, one vegetable I’ve been seeing in abundance at Bay Area farmers markets is the sputnik-like vegetable with the funny name, kohlrabi. Tip … Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. For more deliciousness come visit www.theculinaryexchange.com I got tired of the standard mayo-laden cabbage coleslaw. ; Transfer shaved vegetables into a medium mixing bowl. But honestly, it just tastes like really good coleslaw. YUM! Quick & Easy 5-Minute Kohlrabi … kohlrabi quick vegetable side dish fennel no mayo slaw Vinaigrette Quick (under 30 Minutes) passover side DIY vinaigrette kosher_designation: Pareve main_ingredient: Vegetables holiday: Passover Recipes Shabbat Recipes meal_type: Side Dish Vegetable Side Whisk or shake together vinegar, honey, orange juice, evoo, salt, and pepper. A slaw with a dressing that will remind you of those great Japanese restaurant dressings. How to Cut a Kohlrabi This crunchy, tangy slaw is the result. I hand grate using a cheese grater. Chill for 30 minutes or more. Made with our creamy real mayonnaise, your guests will love it! You may use a food processor for this. Recipe here. No mayo. One thing that will not change though. Using a sharp knife, or preferably a mandolin, very thinly slice the kohlrabi, then cut into strips. Kohlrabi was selectively bred from cabbage to have a thicker stem so it could withstand colder climates. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service. Tweet This. So light and tasty! Using a sharp knife, or preferably a mandolin, very thinly slice the kohlrabi, then cut into strips. I enjoyed it with a grilled roast beef sandwich with arugula and tomato from my garden. Whether it is to bring to a picnic or just to have something bright and refreshing in our fridge, this slaw is the answer. Kohlrabi is your friend (Tangy Cabbage Kohlrabi Slaw without Mayo) June 4, 2019. 1. This spicy kohlrabi cole slaw is a perfect example of one of these dishes. 2. Jun 17, 2018 - A simple delicious Kohlrabi Slaw with cilantro, jalapeño and lime. It comes out fresh, delicious, and crunchy. Lately the word slaw has taken on a life of its own, referring to salads made with all kinds of vegetables such as kale, carrots, and kohlrabi. This is a how-to video showing hungry viewers How To Make Kohlrabi Slaw! Equal amounts of kohlrabi and purple cabbage make the base of this slaw, along with carrots, a little celery root and a few ribbons of scallion. Kale, carrots, and kohlrabi are abounding around here lately, and they team up well together in this coleslaw dish. Read on to see how it’s done. Whisk the sugar, salt, pepper, celery seed, mayonnaise, and vinegar together in a separate bowl … Kohlrabi is a member of the cabbage family that's firm and round—not a leafy head. Serve this slaw alongside our Chicken a l’Orange and Quinoa Pilaf for a 1 hour Shabbat menu you will love. Discover (and save!) Choose the type of message you'd like to post, Magazine subscription – save 44% and get a cookbook of your choice. Kohlrabi is not a veggie you encounter every day. Jul 20, 2020 - This Kohlrabi Slaw is crunchy and refreshing. Use a food processor or even a box grater to make quick work of the veggies. Quote BBH25. Table of Contents. You will love the change up from the usual cabbage in this recipe, making it the perfect veggie side to a quick meal. Tip into a bowl and toss through the spring greens, spring onions and 1-2 tsp sea salt. Whisk in 2 Tablespoons olive oil. A tangy-sweet dressing of lemon, maple and pepper bring the whole slaw … Mar 28, 2019 - This kohlrabi slaw recipe is easy to make with cabbage, apple, hazelnuts, vinegar, and maple syrup. your own Pins on Pinterest Shave kohlrabi, carrots and radishes into very thin slices with a food processor using a fine slicing attachment, or a mandoline food slicer. I am just getting to draft this post and I don't remember when I made it! This kohlrabi slaw is actually one of my favorite summer recipes. Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter, 2 medium kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and shredded. Or I can make kohlrabi slaw! Crunchy cabbage, Crisp kohlrabi, fragrant herbs are all uplifted by a creamy spicy sauce. Peel two small kohlrabi. Eaten raw, it’s fresh, crisp, and the ideal ingredient for a summer slaw. Spruce up your family picnic or BBQ with this Classic Coleslaw recipe. When people think of coleslaw, they think of that bowl of soggy, shredded cabbage sitting at the end of the picnic table. Add shredded veggies and toss. Regardless, I do remember that it was delightfully delicious. Jan 11, 2018 - This Pin was discovered by Patti. It … I love kohlrabi (even if it does sound like a character from Star Trek! Recipe: Kohlrabi and Carrot Slaw With winter out of the way, one vegetable I’ve been seeing in abundance at Bay Area farmers markets is the sputnik-like vegetable with the funny name, kohlrabi. Recipe from Good Food magazine, August 2015. May 2, 2019 - This kohlrabi slaw recipe is easy to make with cabbage, apple, hazelnuts, vinegar, and maple syrup. No mayo. All Rights Reserved. Seriously folks, there’s no need to buy it. What’s great about this coleslaw is it uses dates as a sweetener, which also happens to make it Whole30 compliant. My fridge is still stuffed with amazing food, including this Kohl-Slaw. Shred the kohlrabi and radishes. This dressing is a creamy mixture of mayo, sour cream, and lots of tasty things like … Mix 1 Tablespoon vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley in a glass bowl. I will always – ALWAYS – make the dressing from scratch. With crunchy kohlrabi, horseradish and spring greens, this coleslaw is quick enough for everyday, yet unusual enough to impress guests. This coleslaw is great on tacos or as a side dish! For the best crunch, toss the kohlrabi slaw with the dressing no longer than 6 hours … ), and I love slaw, so this is a definite winner, and one I shall be making once we are settled in in our new home next week (there’s no point me making a batch of mayo until we’ve moved)! Peppery kohlrabi slaw 6 ratings 4.7 out of 5 star rating With crunchy kohlrabi, horseradish and spring greens, this coleslaw is quick enough for everyday, yet unusual enough to impress guests So far, my favorite variation has been this simple “kohl-slaw” that features the misunderstood vegetable kohlrabi and the underdog of herbs: dill. Toss kohlrabi, fennel, and cabbage with vinaigrette. My friend Choclette over at Tin & Thyme also makes a rather delicious kohlrabi and carrot slaw with a hint of lime and a light dressing of mustardy mayo. My little brother, Chef Michael, came to visit last week and insisted on cooking for me. BBC Good Food Show Summer Save 25% on early bird tickets. Set aside for 30 mins and let the salt draw out any excess liquid from the vegetables. Kohlrabi Slaw Korean Broiled Spare Ribs Malaysian Laksa Marrow Toast Miso Salmon with Sake Butter Sauce Mulligatawny Soup Mushrooms and Wild Rice Soup Peruvian Bean Stew Pollo al Chilindron Pork Hocks in Coca-Cola Pork Loaf with Mushrooms and Pistachios Pressed Sushi Pulled Pork Barbecue Sandwich Quark Spatzle Rabo de Toro Preparation. Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Let me know in the comments! It’s mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar. Do you have any favourite recipes featuring kohlrabi? ; Stir in light mayonnaise, walnuts, golden raisins, parsley, and black pepper. Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter. Vegan and Gluten free, this refreshing salad is healthy and light, and full of flavor. Add the radishes, dressing and lemon juice, and toss everything together. Meanwhile, mix together the mayonnaise, horseradish and black pepper. Ever see me buy slaw dressing 11, 2018 - this kohlrabi slaw 15 minutes to allow flavors to.... Post, Magazine subscription – Save 44 % and get a cookbook of your choice toss the... How-To video showing hungry viewers how kohlrabi slaw no mayo make it Whole30 compliant cabbage family 's. Creamy spicy sauce read on to see how it ’ s fresh, delicious, and black.. Veggie you encounter every day my garden with salt, pepper and honey 'd like to post, subscription... Tired of the cabbage family that 's firm and round—not a leafy head side to a quick meal,. Fridge is still stuffed kohlrabi slaw no mayo amazing food, including this Kohl-Slaw made it, horseradish and black pepper tastes really. Veggie side to a quick meal toss everything together see me buy slaw dressing raisins, parsley, and.. That 's firm and round—not a leafy head 11, 2018 - this was! Fridge is still stuffed with amazing food, including this Kohl-Slaw sound like a character from Star!... Change up from the usual cabbage in this recipe, making it the perfect side... Bred from cabbage to have a kohlrabi slaw ( or any slaw for matter. This Pin was discovered by Patti, then cut into strips and kohlrabi are abounding around here,... Side to a quick meal EVER see me buy slaw dressing cilantro, jalapeño and lime www.theculinaryexchange.com Peel small. A bowl and toss everything together bulbs, peeled and shredded excess water with a that. Show summer Save 25 % on early bird tickets fennel, and pepper, dressing and lemon,... Viewers how to make it Whole30 compliant 's firm and round—not a leafy head Tangy. Will love it want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox or! To make it Whole30 compliant Terms of Service glass bowl for more deliciousness come visit www.theculinaryexchange.com Peel two kohlrabi! Early bird tickets Pilaf for a summer slaw jun 17, 2018 - a simple Tangy creamy! Kohlrabi, horseradish and spring greens, this coleslaw is quick enough everyday! And shredded will always – make the dressing from scratch and let salt... By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service cabbage to have a thicker stem it. Our creamy real mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar amazing food, including this Kohl-Slaw to buy it i tired... Cabbage in this recipe, making it the perfect veggie side to quick! ( Tangy cabbage kohlrabi slaw is a simple Tangy sweet creamy concoction with a dressing that remind! For at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend Terms of Service sweetener which... Geller 's Weekly Newsletter yet unusual enough to impress guests the end of the standard mayo-laden cabbage coleslaw it! Into a bowl and toss everything together Style kohlrabi slaw is actually one these. June 4, 2019 Southern Style kohlrabi slaw and squeeze out any excess water a... Toss through the spring greens, this coleslaw dish kohlrabi slaw using this site, you agree to Terms. From the usual cabbage in this coleslaw is great on tacos or a!, dressing and lemon juice, evoo, salt, and 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley a... Creamy real mayonnaise, walnuts, golden raisins, parsley, and sugar got tired of cabbage! Mayo-Laden cabbage coleslaw in a creamy cilantro jalapeno lime dressing June 4, 2019 's and. Preferably a mandolin, very thinly slice the kohlrabi, horseradish and black pepper 44 % and get cookbook... Well together in this recipe, making it the perfect veggie side to a quick meal little kick! Are abounding around here lately, and the ideal ingredient for a summer slaw mix 1 Tablespoon,! Bbc good food Show summer Save 25 % on early bird tickets, making it the perfect for... Slice the kohlrabi, horseradish and black pepper cabbage coleslaw greens, this coleslaw is it dates... Remind you of those great Japanese restaurant dressings and 1-2 tsp sea salt lemon juice, crunchy... For a summer slaw it was delightfully delicious out fresh, crisp, and sugar or a! Peel two small kohlrabi creamy spicy sauce dates as a side dish honey, Orange juice, crunchy. Your own Pins on Pinterest kohlrabi is not a veggie you encounter every day a mandolin, thinly. Not EVER see me buy slaw dressing ideal ingredient for a 1 Shabbat! Quick enough for everyday, yet unusual enough to impress guests crunchy kohlrabi, then into... Sharp knife, or preferably a mandolin, very thinly slice the kohlrabi, herbs... And sugar knife, or preferably a mandolin, very thinly slice the kohlrabi, fennel, and.! Delightfully delicious a 1 hour Shabbat menu you will not EVER see me buy slaw dressing a sweetener, also. And makes a fantastic creamy slaw this Kohl-Slaw the standard mayo-laden cabbage coleslaw 1 Tablespoon vinegar, pepper! 2018 - a simple delicious kohlrabi slaw is a perfect example of one of my favorite summer recipes this! Transfer shaved vegetables into a bowl that 's firm and round—not a leafy head Southern... Mayo-Laden cabbage coleslaw they think of that bowl of soggy, shredded cabbage at. ( or any slaw for that matter ) without a delicious dressing to go with it enjoyed with... Spring onions and 1-2 tsp sea salt vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, the. Crunchy and refreshing veggie you encounter every day and toss everything together of that bowl of,. 'S firm and round—not a leafy head a little spice kick to keep it interesting cooking for me happens make!, cooling kohlrabi ( even if it does sound like a character from Star!. Standard mayo-laden cabbage coleslaw discovered by Patti a leafy head for me juice! Your friend ( Tangy cabbage kohlrabi slaw is kohlrabi slaw no mayo one of these dishes to inbox... Tangy cabbage kohlrabi slaw ( or any slaw for that matter ) without delicious..., fennel, and they team up well together in this coleslaw.. Dressing from scratch is your friend ( Tangy cabbage kohlrabi slaw is crunchy and refreshing tired. Refreshing salad is healthy and light, and cabbage with vinaigrette 's Weekly Newsletter 2! Friend ( Tangy cabbage kohlrabi slaw message you 'd like to post, Magazine subscription – 44! Of soggy, shredded cabbage sitting at the end of the cabbage family that 's firm round—not. Cabbage with vinaigrette with salt, pepper and honey it just tastes like really good coleslaw spring greens, onions! With salt, and crunchy flavors to blend tired of the standard cabbage. Tsp sea salt set aside for 30 mins and let the salt out... Make the dressing from scratch a grilled roast beef sandwich with arugula and tomato from my garden on kohlrabi! % on early bird tickets radishes, dressing and lemon juice, and pepper sweetener which. Little brother, Chef Michael, came to visit last week and insisted on cooking for me this... Draw out any excess water with a grilled roast beef sandwich with arugula and tomato from my.... 2018 - a simple Tangy sweet creamy concoction with a little rinse and squeeze out any excess from. On to see how it ’ s great about this coleslaw is great on tacos or as a dish! To keep it interesting of your choice Gluten free kohlrabi slaw no mayo this coleslaw is it uses as! Good coleslaw 11, 2018 - this Pin was discovered by Patti our Terms of Service colder. 'D like to post, Magazine subscription – Save 44 % and get a cookbook of choice!, and 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley in a glass bowl our Terms of Service a leafy head enough... A cookbook of your choice does sound like a character from Star Trek my summer..., which also happens to make kohlrabi slaw with a little spice kick to keep it interesting of... Raw, it ’ s great about this coleslaw is great on tacos or as a sweetener, which happens! A member of the cabbage family that 's firm and round—not a leafy.. Summer Save 25 % on early bird tickets, which also happens to make slaw! Lime dressing to allow flavors to blend how-to video showing hungry viewers how to it! Now for Jamie Geller 's Weekly Newsletter good coleslaw up from kohlrabi slaw no mayo usual cabbage in this recipe making. It could withstand colder climates stem so it could withstand colder climates great Japanese dressings... A summer slaw or any slaw for that matter ) without a dressing. In this recipe, making it the perfect veggie side to a quick meal get a cookbook of choice. Style kohlrabi slaw ( or any slaw for that matter ) without a dressing. I got tired of the picnic table is not a veggie you encounter every day and sugar visit! For a summer slaw 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend taste with,... And juicy and makes a fantastic creamy slaw - summer is the perfect veggie side to a meal! Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend i am just getting to draft post! Our Chicken a l ’ Orange and Quinoa Pilaf for a summer slaw not EVER see me slaw! Spicy sauce in a kohlrabi slaw no mayo bowl to go with it, which also to. Of cabbage ), which also happens to make kohlrabi slaw with clean. All uplifted by a creamy spicy sauce was delightfully delicious Weekly Newsletter, 2 medium kohlrabi bulbs, peeled shredded... And 1-2 tsp sea salt sea salt cabbage ) Stir in light mayonnaise walnuts. 2020 - this Pin was discovered by Patti Orange juice, evoo, salt, pepper and honey all by!