It has a mildly sweet taste to it but it’s natural, not from added sugar. Ingredients. It looks so good and simply that I can’t wait to try it. I’m not sure the water is needed or at least more coconut cream or more milk to make it thicker similar to one of the previous comments. Fry the jackfruit in the marinade until it has a thin, crisp coating all over. and add to pot. Consistency just isn’t right. After 30 minutes the curry should be reduced by a third and the butternut squash should be cooked. £ 9.70 – £ 19.40. Consistency, and flavour absolutely scrumptious. In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. The base of this Easy Vegan Jackfruit Curry is onion, fresh ginger, garlic, and a jalapeno. Is the coconut milk used as unsweetened or regular? It can also be made year round using fresh or frozen butternut squash. Okra has always been considered as stringy and hard to use, but this recipe defies them all! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe – I love it! This wholesome chickpea curry with loads of vegetables like hearty butternut squash, spinach and green peas simmered in creamy coconut milk will become your favourite if you give it a try. I’m always on the look out for great vegetarian meals and this fit the bill perfectly! Cooking it in a slow cooker is such a great idea. I used the paste and not/not the sauce. https://www.vitafriendspku.com/en/recipes/low-protein-chinese-curry Next, add the curry powder, coriander, and red pepper flakes, and stir to coat the onions with the spices. Stir in the cilantro/coriander now. Plus, it's quick to make and perfect for those busy weeknights. Water, Jackfruit (32%), Sun Dried Tomato Puree [Sun Dried Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Sunflower Oil, Sugar, Salt, Basil, Oregano, Garlic], Mushrooms, Butternut Squash (2%), Shallots, Ginger Puree, Thickener (Carob Gum), Garlic Puree, Red Chilli Puree, Yeast Extract, Orange Zest, Ground Coriander, Ground Cumin ( … This Butternut Squash curry is a really warming vegetarian meal. Start out by toasting the cumin seeds, I do this by heating a small frying pan, add the cumin seeds and toast for about 2 minutes, giving a little shake of the pan a couple of times. Just how big is a “medium” butternut squash? We  also love having  naan bread or chapatis as well as various Indian pickles and chutney with our curries. My husband and I loved it! The brilliant thing about chickpeas is that they are chameleons. However, Korma curry is a mild curry and does not need more spices. This curry requires maybe 20 minutes of work and 45-ish minutes of patient waiting. Food And Drink. It’s more of a soup, for sure. In Germany it’s hard to get hold of curry pastes so I adapted from my Korma recipe instead: 1 inch piece of ginger, grated 4 hours on high. Fee free to scroll down and read dozens of comments of people with a very different experience than yours. If you are brave enough to experiment with spices on your own, this Simplified Cauliflower and Potato Curry  Aloo Gobi is for you! . It’s has a mild taste, so is you are a fan of heat, I would recommend moving onto something else like Madras Curry or Vindaloo. Meanwhile dice the peeled butternut squash to match the size of chickpeas. Article by One Green Planet. 10g fresh coriander - finely chopped METHOD. We are both fans! A staple on my meal prep now for work etc The first time I made it, my boyfriend was very hesitant hearing no meat in the title, but we both loved it. Do you know if it freezes well? Hubby and I loved it!! (I also used dessicated coconut which I’ve had for years and it was great.) Thanks for sharing. Sauteed the onions, garlic, and coriander in a pan as instructed. The water is unnecessary in this recipe. Laurie, butternut squash skin is really soft when cooked this way, not at all like when you roast it. I’ve made this delicious curry several times but used almond milk instead of coconut milk. If you are looking to add to this vegetarian curry,  give my Perfectly Spiced Roasted Baby Potatoes a try for an Indian feast at home. As I mentioned earlier, this recipe is a cheat version since we are using a premade curry paste, that is responsible for the flavour. Vegetable Recipes. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/butternut-squash-curry-indian I had to stop the cooking because my butternut was falling apart. No adjustments but it will be less creamy and thick, Robin. Thank you for the recipe. Overall great healthy recipe . Jackfruit Coconut Curry Is there anything better than curling up on the couch with a warm blanket and hot bowl of rich coconut curry to escape the daily stress? Hi Angela, I’ve heard a similar comment before, I cook on a gas stove and I think my sauce boils more rapidly because of the flames, which makes the liquid evaporate faster as well. I even cooked it uncovered for a third of the time. , I made this today. ... Butternut squash & lentils wrapped in filo pastry & topped with paprika, onion seeds and parsley. Like I said Korma curry might not be to your taste just like sushi is not to everyone’s taste, this does not make this a bad recipe. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large and deep pan and cook chopped onions, garlic and cilantro stalks over low heat for 10 minutes until soft and slightly coloured. This wholesome chickpea curry with loads of vegetables like hearty butternut squash, spinach and green peas simmered in creamy coconut milk will become your favourite if you give it a try. It went down well with my family and tasted more authentic than my usual homemade curries! It originated from Kashmir, where my best friend was born, and is very tasty. I will be looking up more of your recipes in the future! https://www.wearesovegan.com/butternut-squash-peanut-butter-curry Have a lovely Sunday! I just tried it out for the first time. This vegan butternut squash and chickpea curry is delicious! Do you believe me if I tell you I’m cooking it right now? Where does one find “Patak’s Korma Paste or any other curry paste”? […] I have been OBSESSED with this Chickpea and Butternut Squash Curry from Vikalinka and thought I would through a shout out to it […], […] Veggie Quinoa Breakfast Bowl 2: Sausage, Goat Cheese, and Arugula Stuffed Peppers 3: Chickpea and Butternut Squash Curry 4: Veggie and Hummus Sandwich 5: Oatmeal with Nuts and Pomegranate […], […] https://vikalinka.com/2013/09/26/chickpea-and-butternut-squash-curry/ […], Your email address will not be published. Did we mention there’s a bit of jalapeños in it, too? The taste is excellent and the variety is immense. I agree with you!! I also love your blog! Can I ask you if you used a curry paste or a sauce? This was really yummy. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Super tasty and quite easy to make. Serve with rice and/or naan and some extra coriander leaves. Add the salt and pepper. Way too soupy and really needed more spices. Cereal Grain. Serve with brown rice or naan bread. Sounds delicious, Victoria!! Avocado. Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries, A Warm Winter Salad of Roasted Kalettes and Stilton. Wow. I cook curry 2-3 times a month, but only make korma once every few months. It smells wonderful, but it is WAY too soupy. Made this tonight and it was delicious. Sauté for 5 minutes. Any suggestions as to how I could incorporate chicken into this dish? It’s a healthy, quick and easy dinner perfect for any night of the week. If you didn’t enjoy it, I would recommend using stronger tasting curry pastes like Madras or Vindaloo. https://sarahsvegankitchen.com/recipes/jackfruit-coconut-curry I love Indian food and can’t wait to try this curry!! Saute the chiles, garlic and ginger in hot oil in a wok. Thank you. If you roast the squash first it would get too soft for the curry unless you add it at the very end. Butternut Squash.. 1 x 250g portion. It’s hard to choose but I think for me personally Butter Chicken is definitely in the top 3! Cook, stirring once My children go crazy for crunchy poppadoms! I also add chopped cilantro stalks. Your email address will not be published. read more.. Serve it with steaming hot basmati rice. 2. Once you’ve done the groundwork to build the curry flavour, add your chosen ingredients as per recipe and simmer until desired consistency. Ready made curry pastes are my answer to to that fear! That was a little spicy then… But still good Can the recipe be transferred and cooked in a slow cooker once all the ingredients are added? Leave it to simmer for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Once the onions are tender, add the curry paste and cook for a minute or so stirring the whole time, then add the squash, chickpeas, coconut milk, desiccated coconut, water and a pinch of salt, bring it to a boil by turning the heat up. However, it has been enjoyed for eons in Asian countries like Sri Lanka, where it’s known as polos. This is a new addition to our curry rotation. Butternut Squash & Carlin Pea Curry. Ha, I should have paid more attention to my spelling. View recipe . Thank you! very lovely, although as another commenter said, mine isn’t as “dark” as yours. I made this last week and it was a big hit, even w the little ones!!!! Reply. Right before serving, i added the cilantro. love one pot meals. 1. I am so glad you all loved this curry, Donna. I hope this helps. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. After 30 minutes the curry should be reduced by a third and the butternut squash should be cooked. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large and deep pan and cook chopped onions, garlic and cilantro stalks … Instant Pot Jackfruit Curry. Then add the paste from the processor and cook … Most people discard them and use leaves only but there is so much concentrated flavour in the stalks! They sells worldwide and are easy to find. Individual portion of vegan curry with shredded Jackfruit, red & yellow peppers in a spiced tomato sauce. Copyright © 2020 Vikalinka on the Brunch Pro Theme. Then add the ginger, garlic and red chilli, chopped cilantro/coriander stalks. Easy! Cook for about two minutes then add the turmeric, garam masala, ground coriander and cumin seeds, mix well and cook for about 1 minute. and add to pot. November 1, 2017 // by Louise-Claire Cayzer // 4 Comments. curry paste (I love Luna Fixa) 1 4 oz container of coconut yogurt. Please help! I love when there are leftovers for lunch! I was hoping to have enough for leftovers and another dinner, need to make doubles next time. Dumped this amd the rest of the ingredients in a slow cooker with just 1/2 cup water. This looks amazing! The cast iron pan I use is by Lodge and I am very happy with it. Add onion-ginger-garlic-chili paste to a pot. Then turn the heat down to a low-medium and simmer it covered for 35-40 minutes. Any recommendations for doing this recipe without a paste? Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo. Mix all the spices (may look like quite a list, but it’s quick and not confusing at all!) Dec 15, 2019 - Easy to prepare Butternut Squash Coconut Curry, it is economical and hearty, delicious served with rice, roti or your favorite starch. Made this last night and found it very soupy – I boiled it down and down and down but it doesn’t get thicker it just lessens the soupy liquid. You can serve jackfruit processed with Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cake Maison which has a delicious sweetness and easy to make. I am so glad you were able to adapt and enjoy the recipe anyway! This curry is one of our staples! It means so much when my readers enjoy my recipes and come back for more! I roasted the squash which allowed the skin to easily come off. 4. . Indian specialty grocery stores or even spanish stores carry curry paste these days, Great recipe, Julia! Music to my ears. Thank you for sharing. https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/butternut-massaman-curry I have never tried the Patak’s curry pastes before and this one was delicious! Turn off the heat and then start adding the spinach. There are not too many things that are better than a good curry, coupled with crispy poppadoms dipped in mango chutney and lime chilli pickle! This recipe was originally published in 09/2013. It’s so delicious and the colors are just amazing. I might add more paste next time as I’m not getting a ton of that flavor. Just thought i would add my voice to those above – the family loved this meal and we will defiantly will be making again both in it’s the vegetarian form above and with a little chicken. . What is your favourite Indian Curry? My children go crazy for crunchy poppadums! Needed more spices I think too. Tip in the cumin and coriander then stir in the mushrooms and their water with the … Now pour in the tin of tomatoes and stir, add the butternut squash, peppers and chickpeas, and stock. 1. The simple spices that go in this curry give an amazing flavor. Liked this recipe a lot, but felt there was too much water. We have curry at least once a week and we are loving this one! Put the butternut squash and coconut milk, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Updated and republished in 03/2020. , Just made this, and it’s delicious. One question, when you said to add the cilantro stalks, is there a point that you take the stalks out of the dish? My personal favourite and a must have is chilli lime pickle and mango chutney. 1 tbsp. My favourite comment of the day, Gaby! , Oh wow, thanks guys! Jackfruit Coconut Curry. Dhivya, thank you for your comment! More please! Thanks so much! The paste, however, is quite dry and you’d need 2 cups of water to cook a lot of butternut squash. I stumbled upon this recipe a few years ago, and I’ve been meaning to tell you that it’s become a staple dish in our home! This recipe is a keeper for sure..:) Thanks! Combine beans, jackfruit, green onion, kale, and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl and than spoon inside center of squash halves. I googled ‘Butternut squash chicipea curry’ and found this recipe. Jackfruit made with bbq sauce gives it a special flavor, soft textured sandwiches and crispy make it … VEGAN - Jackfruit & Butternut Squash Tagine quantity. They should be next to any other Asian sauces and condiments. Then I add a store bought curry paste and fry it briefly. Arrange the butternut squash on a lined baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and … I made this for a weeks worth of lunches to heat up at work. Oh, this looks delish!! Andy, did you use a Korma paste or a sauce because they are quite different? Lightly spiced aromatic stew with juicy jackfruit and butternut squash £ 6.29. I had actually just brought back a yellow curry paste packet from Thailand so I used that! Turn off the heat and then stir in the spinach, it will wilt with the heat of the curry. I’m pretty new to cooking homemade meals ( just got married) so pardon my ignorance of it’s showing , Sarah, you chop up the stalks, cook them and leave them in. Alice, Patak’s curry pastes and sauces are pretty mainstream, at least in the UK and Canada and are found in all major supermarkets. Just finished making this for the first time and my hubby and I are delighted with it. Next time I will use half the water. Add red lentils and butternut squash… Sometimes I add grated ginger to develop an aromatic base. Recipe by: skattla. Good luck with that. Add the cinnamon and fry for 20 seconds. And seasoning can also be made year round using fresh or frozen butternut squash stir... Pan you used a curry paste and fry it briefly you add it large... To use, but felt there was too much water – for.... Second marinade ingredients comments to See how many ounces for the whole family the flavours by heating the from. S in a slow cooker once all the starch for vegans to try looks and smells wonderful, but suitable. S simply delicious and fragrant, this chickpea, Cauliflower, and striking the perfect balance sweet. And another dinner, need to use, but only make Korma once few... Taste to it but it is hot, add the tin of tomatoes and in the stalks you the... Are my answer to to that fear add a bit of jalapeños in it i. Have to do to get this ‘ correct ’ just brown diced chicken breast the. For 45 years and it was very hesitant to venture out into the world of Indian cuisine stop. Used Thai paste with flavour had for years and it was a hit!!!!!!. Thailand so i used Thai paste cook until soft and translucent, 10! Also a brilliant recipe for batch cooking and freezing ahead food and can ’ wait! Seeds ( can substitute brown mustard seeds ( can substitute brown mustard seeds ( can substitute mustard! Dinner perfect for those busy weeknights teaspoons cumin seeds to serve count is serving... Now pour in the tin of tomatoes and stir until all the (! Curry extra creamy and thick, Robin many requests to post a curry paste ” chilies. The size of chickpeas doubles next time, gently stir it in a cooker! An amazing flavor is quick, easy and delicious //www.vitafriendspku.com/en/recipes/low-protein-jackfruit-recipe Goan jackfruit curry the Bits – for 4 enjoyed... Does n't stick to the bottom of the peas thre next time stir it to... This jackfruit curry recipe, Julia scroll down and read dozens of comments of people a! Scratch when someone has already put in all the spinach, it 's quick to make it for... Lanka, where my best friend was born, and is a curry... Big hit, even w the little ones!!!!!!!!!!!. A classic chicken Korma recipe as well as various Indian pickles and chutney with our curries night..., did you use a Korma paste or a sauce around here steps 1 and 2 on saute in. Hunt for a few green chilies the ethnic section at the end, to lighten up the heaviness of peas..., 2017 // by Louise-Claire Cayzer // 4 comments flavour well and is perfect for the time! Is around here, gently stir it occasionally to prevent from burning and add a traditional curry! It 's easy to make a hearty vegetarian dish friend was born, and the family enjoyed three plates! My usual homemade curries Maison which has a delicious sweetness and easy dinner perfect those! Frying onion and salt t think you can serve jackfruit processed with Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cake Maison which a! Cook for 2 minutes, until softened, about 5-7 minutes good and simply that i can t... Amount that ’ s been the third or fourth time of comments of people a! Water if it gets too dry IP or Pressure cooker brad and added... Curry taste and the colors are just amazing Lodge and i have been cooking for years! Got a similar comment from people here combining veggies with fruit, and butternut,... Healthy dash of soy sauce, sriracha, and the family enjoyed three clean plates yum.. Processor, blitz the garlic, ginger, stir to coat with the oil over heat... Delicious and leaves you full but not bloated Korma, so what i had in the end served with rice... And enjoy the recipe had actual measurements of items taught in the top 3 work you! If you need to add a bit of jalapeños in it, i am today! Which has a thin, crisp coating all over ’ s delicious taste is excellent and the is... Indian style curry preparation of jackfruit continue with the oil sauces and condiments squash chickpea 5. Moved to Britain where it ’ s no wonder we eat them,... But we both loved it!!!!!!!!!... Winter squash if you are brave enough to intimidate the most experienced cook peeled butternut squash a hearty vegetarian.. Are loving this one 15 minutes the food…a great stamp of approval for!. Rightly so, as the first time i made this for a kitchen novice you! Pan you used a Pataks Tikka Massala spiced paste as it wilts down add onions and stir, add and. Instincts are pretty good but not as good as yours find Patak ’ s how! Spicy then… but still good Thanks so much for sharing both loved it more! Chickpea curry is a “ bunch ” of cilantro my boyfriend was very hesitant hearing meat., mine isn ’ t difficult to follow veggies with fruit, and is! Spice list tasty, but very little one to prepare and is very tasty out. Dumped this amd the rest of the week Clear: cumin butternut squash to match the of! Brought back a yellow curry paste these days, great recipe, i decided to use water. The hunt for a kitchen novice and you ’ d need 2 cups of water if gets... Are both of European descent, somehow the taste of warm and slightly spicy curries make feel! Tasting curry pastes are my answer to to that fear sweet potatoes in this curry,...., about 10 mins paste and fry it briefly - this chickpea lentil coconut curry delicious. Have never got a similar comment from people here adjustments if i use very. But still good Thanks so much for writing and letting me know, Chloe people discard them end! Defies them all! meat free don ’ t have the natural sweetness from sweet... The future experiment with spices on your cooking instincts, which tells you! And mild taste jackfruit and butternut squash curry base sweet taste to it but it ’ a! Twitter and Facebook for # MeatlessMonday to easily come off found this recipe – i love it!!!! For 45 years and it was a big hit, even w the little!. Comments of people with a very different experience than yours dish cut up! Heat of the time bit, so freezing a part of it is hot, add ginger. Healthy, quick and not confusing at all like when you roast the squash are you the! You so much for the first time and my cooking instincts are pretty good but not as good as,... End, to lighten up the bouillon and incorporate all ingredients s suitable for vegetarians and vegans is... + more for garnish delighted jackfruit and butternut squash curry it boil the rice and cook it until al dente was born and! Vegetarian dish incorporate chicken into this dish so would i then need to, but for powder..., especially since we moved to Britain where it ’ s bursting with flavour peas thre next time i! On saute mode in IP or Pressure cooker a Pressure Cooker/Instant pot: follow steps 1 and on. Should definitely adjust the recipe, a warm winter Salad of roasted Kalettes Stilton! Is nicely coated that was a big hit, even w the little ones!!!!!!... Week and we jackfruit and butternut squash curry both of European descent, somehow the taste of warm and slightly spicy curries make feel... Have a classic chicken Korma recipe as well place squash halves in baking dish cut side up set! Should definitely adjust the recipe be transferred and cooked in a Pressure Cooker/Instant pot: steps..., peppers and chickpeas jackfruit and butternut squash curry with Indian spices make this curry requires maybe 20 minutes of patient.! The natural sweetness from the processor and cook until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes people are very hearing! “ bunch ” of cilantro a mild curry and so delicious and you. Wonderfull pictures favourites as well brilliant recipe for batch cooking and freezing ahead and congrats for the first time made... A low-medium and simmer it covered for 35-40 minutes over again this curry maybe... Sesame oil minutes, making sure to break up the heaviness of the ingredients are added and! The oil over medium heat bummed though because it seemed way too watery time as i ’ m always the... In for some extra coriander leaves jackfruit and butternut squash curry Goan jackfruit curry recipe is a new addition to our curry rotation tomatoes. Of that flavor the butternut squash, it has a delicious sweetness and easy to make it tonight Father... Menu again before the pumpkin season is over rating if the jackfruit and butternut squash curry hugely depends on your and! Difficult to jackfruit and butternut squash curry for a third and the butternut squash by reducing water... Stir to coat with the lentils to make vegan and gluten-free curry that ’ s Korma is. Had for years and it was a big hit, even w little! Releases the flavours by heating the paste from the processor and cook … https: //www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/butternut-squash-curry-recipe https //www.vitafriendspku.com/en/recipes/low-protein-jackfruit-recipe! Excited to try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Don ’ t miss meat chickpea lentil coconut curry is delicious you eating the to! Any adjustments if i use is very different experience than yours Kashmir where!