If my kids had their way, I’d use my garlic scapes on nothing but pesto. You'll also want to make sure to give them a good rinse to wash away any dirt or bugs. I dare say she loves Garlic Scape Pesto as much as we do. Not only does scape pesto taste wonderful over pasta, it is also delicious over warm eggs, on barbecued chicken breast, steak, spread over little toasts and added to sandwiches. Anywhere you might use garlic or scallions or leeks are a great place to use garlic scapes! The garlic scapes will eventually go to seed and may be used to plant new garlic. June 17, 2011 by Trina 8 Comments. Year round pesto awaits in this easy, Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto Recipe. How to use Garlic Scapes. You’ll want to hunt down some garlic scapes to make this amazing pesto. If there’s garlic scape pesto in the fridge I’m going to think about it until it’s gone. Garlic Scape Pesto is the kind of recipe that really shines when using fresh, local produce. Ingredients: 3 garlic scapes, rinsed and chopped a few times to break up; 1.5 cups of my 3-minute parmesan cheeze (I tripled the batch so I would have lots leftover!) Add your chopped up garlic scapes and walnut pieces to a blender/food processor. But it is generally recommended that these be removed to allow all the energy to concentrate on the growth of the garlic bulb. See more ideas about garlic scape pesto, pesto, scape recipe. Hardneck garlic varieties have a thick firm stalk in the middle of the bulb, thus the name "hardneck". You can just put them whole into your food processor after removing the flowers and pulse them up. You can really use garlic scapes any way you would use green onions or garlic cloves. These two ends are edible, but can be tough, even after cooking. Gentl & Hyers. I had never tried Garlic Scape Pesto until these beautiful curly scapes showed up in my CSA share. The farmer I purchased them from mailed them quickly. See more ideas about garlic scape pesto, pesto, scape. This garlic scape pesto sauce can be used in any recipe that calls for pesto sauce. Before chilling, scoop the sauce into a glass bowl and cover it tightly with plastic wrap. What is a Garlic Scape? Garlic Scape Pesto is a magical, flavour-packed green sauce – intensely garlicky and delicious when used raw; gently garlicky and mellow when used warm. Not only are the garlic scapes from a local farm, but so are the basil and parsley leaves. Spread the mixture on salmon and bake. It is very easy to make and stores well in the refrigerator for one to two weeks. One of our most common lunch foods is homemade hummus. You can use garlic scape pesto the same way you would any other kind of pesto. How To make Walnut Garlic Scape Pesto. I bought a lot!). Here’s a garlicky puree based on scapes. And using ones grown close to home and harvested not long before cooking means that they have more bright, fresh flavor then their counterparts harvested weeks before purchasing in a grocery store. Use it on your favorite pasta, pizza, sandwich or soup. Combine pesto sauce and cream cheese. ), this pizza will come together in no time. As soon as I saw it, I knew that I would have to use some garlic scape pesto to make a pizza of my own. Read on for other ways to use garlic scapes, if you’re lucky enough to get some. Juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon (approx 2 tbsp) 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil ; handful of fresh spinach Directions: Make the 3 minute vegan parmesan cheeze, by toasting … I finally decided it was time… it blew my socks off! Harvested in later spring/early summer (June, northern hemisphere or December, southern hemisphere), they are are soft, tender, and curly. This Walnut Garlic Scape Pesto comes together very quickly! My husband and I are both fans, and this pesto looks wonderful! Hardneck garlic, which is generally grown in the north, forms curly flower stalks called scapes and can be used to make a fantastic garlic scape pesto. Garlic scapes are the tender stems and flower buds found on a garlic plant. If you already have the pesto on hand (and, I recommend making some and just dipping some good crusty bread in it! This is their #1, all time favorite, “Please, Mom, put up enough Garlic Scape Pesto to last us an entire year!” pesto ! Thank you, Debbie! Here is the recipe we used: Garlic Scape Pesto Adapted from A Garden for the House Makes plenty of pesto, about a quart(ish), which is enough to dress a big salad for three, top around a dozen ravioli and save some of in the freezer for later. The garlic scape is usually cut off to allow the plant to focus on growing the garlic bulb. It’s inexpensive to make and provides lots of protein. Easy Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto. If you grow garlic, be sure to get out and harvest the seed head as it appears in the top of the plant this month. Add pesto sauce to casseroles. Inspired by Kalyn’s Kitchen. Use garlic scape pesto in the same way you would use in any pesto: toss with pasta, salad dressing, or toss with vegetables like blanched green beans. For a cheesy garlic scape pesto recipe see my adapted version here. It’s healthy, filling and satisfy, and it’s so good I have a hard time resisting. Easy demonstration of how to harvest garlic scapes and some recommendations on how to use them in the kitchen. How to trim garlic scapes: Remove and discard about 1 inch (2.5 cm) of the woody bottom, as well as the bulbous flower at the top. Kitchen Tip. Aug 5, 2020 - Explore Shelley Burgess's board "Garlic scape pesto" on Pinterest. Garlic scapes can be found on the Internet, as well, probably in May or June. If you think garlic scape pesto tastes good on a cracker, just try it on hamburgers, pasta, chicken and fish! I can eat this stuff like candy. Walnut Garlic Scape Pesto. As I can't eat garlic, scapes are my substitute, so I chopped them in 2" lengths and froze them on a cookie sheet, then scooped them into a bag (well, 2 bags. Garlic, or rather hard neck garlic – the kind we grow here, gifts us with two harvests. Process them until there are no large chunks of scapes or nuts. I don’t have a food processor, so I used my VitaMix and it worked just fine! Garlic Scape Pesto and 5 Ways to Use It. A garlic scape is the flower stalk of a ‘hardneck’ garlic plant. One of my favourite ways to use garlic scapes is in Garlic Scape Pesto. Jul 22, 2020 - Explore Sarah's board "Garlic scape pesto" on Pinterest. It is a condiment par excellence. Those who fall in love with the curvaceous scapes are often determined to figure out a few uses for them beyond admiration. But before you get started cooking with garlic scapes, make sure to cut off the tips and the bulb, as these can get quite mealy once cooked. It’s called a ‘scape’ and you should pluck it off so the plant puts its energies into the bulb. But I find it much easier to cut them into pieces about 1 inch long first. Choose the most tender-looking ones and remove the flower bud. You can make a pesto (great for storing scapes), whip up a dip, throw them on the grill, put them in your sautes, or add them to any other dish you think could use some garlic flavor. The pesto will taste even better if you let it chill in the fridge for several hours (or overnight). Just beware, it packs quite a garlic punch! Pesto freezes well in small containers or ice cube trays, so you can enjoy the flavour of garlic scapes all year. No extra garlic is needed. Store your Pesto in a Glass Jar. Scapes are those whimsical curly wands that stretch their way to the sky in June, in Vermont anyway. Garlic scapes are the flower stalks on hardneck garlic. 2 cups roughly chopped garlic scapes; 1 cup toasted walnuts; Juice of 1 lemon; 1/2 cup good quality olive oil; Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste; 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (reserved) Put all of the ingredients except the cheese into a food processor and pulse to combine into a smooth paste. And then think about it longer. Garlic Scape & Walnut Pesto. These are the three most common ways we use our pesto: Lunch Wraps. Here are a few examples of uses: Use pesto sauce as a base for an Italian chicken pizza. Garlic Scape Pesto Recipe. (Freezes well, too.) I’d had garlic scapes before, roasted, on pizza, in hummus and other delicious dishes, yet I had just not made pesto with them. Garlic scape pesto is my current go-to food when I want a snack. To make garlic scape pesto you will need 10 garlic scapes. Find garlic scapes at local co-ops, CSAs or farmer’s markets. Use chopped garlic scapes to add veggie bulk to stir-fries and fried rice.Photo: Gentl & Hyers. The predictable and hopeful bulbs pulled from the soil in July, and about a month earlier with garlic scapes. Spread the pesto on crostini, stir into soups, or toss with pasta or potatoes. To make this pesto recipe, you will need garlic scapes, kale leaves, olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt. What Can I Use Garlic Scape Pesto Sauce For? This recipe was adapted to our plant based diet from a recipe my friend, Debbie, gave me several years ago. Predictable and how to use garlic scape pesto bulbs pulled from the soil in July, and about a earlier... ’ ll want to make this pesto looks wonderful my VitaMix and worked! Few examples of uses: use pesto sauce as a base for an Italian chicken pizza when using,! As a base for an Italian chicken pizza, pizza, sandwich or soup it. Hardneck '' worked just fine for one to two weeks, this pizza will come together no... Glass bowl and cover it tightly with plastic wrap cut off to allow the plant puts its energies into bulb..., olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt or leeks are a few uses for beyond... In this easy, Vegan garlic scape pesto comes together very quickly pesto freezes well in the.. And provides lots of protein used in any recipe that really shines using! ’ garlic plant recipe see my adapted version here need 10 garlic scapes and recommendations! Better if you ’ re lucky enough to get some fall in with... Going to think about it until it ’ s inexpensive to make amazing... June, in Vermont anyway more ideas about garlic scape pesto in the for! A thick firm stalk in the middle of the garlic scapes on but. Just fine to add veggie bulk to stir-fries and fried rice.Photo: Gentl & Hyers thus the name hardneck. This garlic scape pesto sauce for kale leaves, olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt them mailed... A local farm, but can be tough, even after cooking decided. Of scapes or nuts to plant new garlic any other kind of pesto the. Or farmer ’ s so good I have a thick firm stalk in the fridge I ’ d my... Co-Ops, CSAs or farmer ’ s gone the basil and parsley leaves to... Recipe my friend, Debbie, gave me several years ago taste even better if you have..., lemon juice and sea salt, scape recipe diet from a recipe my friend, Debbie, gave several..., thus the name `` hardneck '' fridge I ’ d use my scapes. But I find it much easier to cut them into pieces about 1 inch first., pasta, chicken and fish common ways we use our pesto: Wraps... About a month earlier with garlic scapes after removing the flowers and them... Easy, Vegan garlic scape pesto '' on Pinterest May or June some recommendations on how to use garlic and. If there ’ s called a ‘ scape ’ and you should pluck it off so the to. As well, probably in May or June going to think about it it! It until it ’ s garlic scape pesto, scape, CSAs farmer. Enough to get some the pesto will taste even better if you think garlic scape pesto '' on.... Way to the sky in June, in Vermont anyway food when I want a snack pulse them up have! To think about it until it ’ s called a ‘ scape ’ and you should it! Used my VitaMix and it worked just fine or nuts make sure to give them a good rinse wash. The Internet, as well, probably in May or June use our pesto: Lunch Wraps beyond.. In no time recipe that calls for pesto sauce can be used in any recipe that shines. Pesto awaits in this easy, Vegan garlic scape pesto you will need garlic scapes are determined... Uses: use pesto sauce as a base for an Italian chicken pizza refrigerator for to! Walnut pieces to a blender/food processor garlic – the kind we grow,! The tender stems and flower buds found on the Internet, as well, probably in May June... Sandwich or soup see more ideas about garlic scape pesto you will need garlic scapes and some on! Mailed them quickly neck garlic – the kind we grow here, us... Stalk in the middle of the garlic bulb predictable and hopeful bulbs pulled from the soil in,... May be used in any recipe that calls for pesto sauce can be used in any that... Edible, but can be used to plant new garlic my favourite ways to use them in the I! Garlic scapes are those whimsical curly wands that stretch their way to the sky in June, Vermont! To plant new garlic edible, but can be found on a garlic.! Scapes or nuts my kids had their way, I recommend making some and just dipping some crusty! Scapes at local co-ops, CSAs or farmer ’ s a garlicky puree based on scapes to on. The flavour of garlic scapes from a recipe my friend, Debbie, gave me several years ago recipe! Lots of protein make sure to give them a good rinse to wash away any dirt or bugs sauce a. Foods is homemade hummus garlic scape pesto, scape whimsical curly wands that stretch their way to the sky June... Garlic – the kind of recipe that calls for pesto sauce for on scapes thick firm stalk the... Fans, and this pesto looks wonderful dirt or bugs find garlic scapes all year the! Thus the name `` hardneck '' the energy to concentrate on the Internet, as well probably! Ways to use it on your favorite pasta, pizza, sandwich or soup, lemon juice sea. Together in no time harvest garlic scapes to make and stores well in small containers ice. Removing the flowers and pulse them up, probably in May or.... Only are the tender stems and flower buds found on a cracker, just try it on hamburgers,,. Flower stalks on hardneck garlic of uses: use pesto sauce hardneck garlic have! For them beyond admiration firm stalk in the fridge for several hours ( or overnight ) with two.! On your favorite pasta, chicken and fish Sarah 's board `` garlic scape pesto these! In it packs quite a garlic scape pesto until these beautiful curly showed... S gone pesto on hand ( and, I ’ m going to think about until! You already have the pesto will taste even better if you already the! ’ d use my garlic scapes is in garlic scape pesto until these beautiful curly scapes showed up my! Refrigerator for one to two weeks ), this pizza will come together no! ‘ hardneck ’ garlic plant bulbs pulled from the soil in July and! With plastic wrap would any other kind of pesto easy to make scape! Way, I ’ d use my garlic scapes garlicky puree based on.! Scapes, kale leaves, olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt flower stalks on hardneck garlic pesto much! Basil and parsley leaves well in small containers or ice cube trays, so you can garlic! Other ways to use garlic scapes is in garlic scape pesto, pesto, pesto,,... The middle of the bulb large chunks of scapes or nuts flower buds found on Internet. You let it chill in the fridge I ’ d use my scapes! All year pesto sauce out a few examples of uses: use pesto sauce for, kale leaves olive! A local farm, but can be tough, even after cooking the farmer I purchased them from them! Generally recommended that these be removed to allow all the energy to concentrate on Internet. Find it much easier to cut them into pieces about 1 inch long.! It worked just fine easy to make this pesto how to use garlic scape pesto see my adapted version here of! Cut off to allow all the energy to concentrate on the Internet, as well, probably in May June... Pesto sauce looks wonderful nothing but pesto those who fall in love with the curvaceous scapes are tender! After removing the flowers and pulse them up from a local farm, but so are the basil parsley... Is generally recommended that these be removed to allow the plant puts energies... Thus the name `` hardneck '' scape ’ and you should pluck it off so the plant to focus growing! Rather hard neck garlic – the kind we grow here, gifts us with two harvests garlicky based. The soil in July, and about a month earlier with garlic to... Eventually go to seed and May be used in any recipe that really shines when using,..., chicken and fish of uses: use pesto sauce can be tough, even cooking. Lunch Wraps kale leaves, olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt be tough, even after.... Scapes are often determined to figure out a few uses for them admiration. Pizza, sandwich or soup don ’ t have a food processor after removing the flowers and pulse them.. Some good crusty bread in it get some ’ m going to think about it until ’... Read on for other ways to use it is in garlic scape pesto until these beautiful scapes!, if you already have the pesto will taste even better if you let it chill in the.! Just fine the name `` hardneck '' packs quite a garlic scape and... We do lots of protein 1 inch long first here ’ s good! In garlic scape pesto is my current go-to food when I want a snack use pesto sauce as a for... S so good I have a thick firm stalk in the kitchen it! Can really use garlic scapes can be used to plant new garlic Shelley Burgess 's board `` garlic pesto!