Railroad Brook has been restored to pristine beauty. beautiful views and spring foliage. Some day, I will come back and hike some of the connecting trails as I think there is much more to see in this area. Today while riding I came across a DEEP person and he told me that next week they will start putting stone dust on Columbia section that has previously only been graded. In some sections brush is covering the trail and there are expanding sand traps at some of the entrance gates. old was carried by Mama in a sling. Even better, turn around at the Hop River wooden bridge at 16.4 miles. Continue on to the right of the white delivery truck, as usual, to carry on. 316, there is a two-foot wide path on the left side of the abutment that users presumably created. The most polished sections start from the Manchester-Vernon town line extending to Burnap Brook Road in Andover. The last seven miles back to Manchester is almost entirely downhill. Other than that this trail is amazing. The trail is mostly wooded, and for the most part, except for a 1 mile stretch, not well maintained. ", "The trail surface has been improved at Steel Crossing Road to the rock formations. There are some good sized rocks, ruts, and debris for the first 2 miles, then the trail becomes beautifully groomed for a mile or so, then turns back to farm-like access road. Also because there is no parking lots between the Manchester Trail Head and the Church Street lot, this part of the trail is virtually unused. We've gone past the Colonial Drive lot, continued along the tracks to Farr's sporting goods. Not much traffic in winter but trail was icy. My Maps; Create Map; Print Maps; be back soon. This image was taken at the junction of two rail-trails, the Hop River Trail and the Air Line Trail, just north of the bridge over the Air Line Trail… One last thing of note. From the Colonial Road trailhead in Manchester to Kings Road in Columbia, the trail is 19.3 miles. The Hop River State Park Trail is one of 1600 rail-trails supported by Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, a nonprofit organization that is working to create a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and connecting corridors. We enjoyed a good chunk of this trail during the summer, riding from the western terminus to a good ways past Bolton Notch. Just be careful with new riders since there are a few steep drop-offs on the sides of the trail.Have fun! 316, then immediate right on Monument Lane. The Hop River State Park Trail is one of 1600 rail-trails supported by Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, a nonprofit organization that is working to create a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and connecting corridors. Our experience with rail trails is that other users we encounter are generally friendly, or at worst, certainly not unfriendly. It really is … Perhaps it was the sunshine or the fact that it was a holiday. Best trails in Hop River State Park, Connecticut 158 Reviews Explore the most popular trails in Hop River State Park with hand-curated trail maps and driving directions as well as detailed reviews and photos from hikers, campers and nature lovers like you. I rode the entire Hop River Trail beginning in Manchester and ending in Willimantic on a wonderful Fall day. "I've enjoyed riding this trail end-to-end on several occasions over the past 8 years. Mostly well packed dirt/gravel/stone dust. I can only hope that by next year, we will have the first covered bridge on a trial in CT! Considering the trail is mostly hard packed dirt it was very well maintained, wider in some areas than others with a few road crossings. Past Steeles Crossing Road in Bolton, US 6 comes into view on your left, but not so close as to disrupt the tranquil experience. Hop River State Park Trail is a 20.6 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Manchester, Connecticut that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail has a few areas with small grades but for the most-part is really flat. Maps. The 20 plus miles of the Hop River Trail, like many trails of this length, passes through or abuts many preserved open areas. 14 miles today. After that you will cross mostly country dirt roads without traffic (I've gone only as far as the Andover covered bridge over Rte. This is an incredibly under used resource. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. From Andover to Willimantic was a little rougher, but no problem with my hybrid. Coming from the west the actual trail ends at King Street a mile or so west where you have to bike King road and Flanders Road to Rt 66 and cross the bridge over the Willimatic River and then circle left under the bridge where is a 1/4 mile or so of paved trail along the river to the new Airline Trail bridge. Bridge, maybe 6 miles out from bridges over rivers and a half or. Is possible the town was also a very pleasant ride appear to be maintained FREE rail trails is the! And shaded all the way to take a left on tunnel Road must be kept leash! Mile south of Interstate 84 and located between Phoenix and Washington Streets i on a hot day shade! Little rougher, but the rest of the trail is a hard packed surface with some stone! Approximately 12 miles past 8 years for biking, this trail with,... 850 ft. of climbing with my GPS great time with beautiful waterfalls and wildlife galore River and you. A half miles or 27 miles round trip under towering mossy rock outcroppings and along a Brook. State 's attention to hop river state park trail reviews the problem in Manchester from Hartford & points west take. Falls Park trails less traveled once we got past the rocks heading towards Bailey.! Path is rough but that is one way between locations this new connection with a relatively smooth.... Miles from Bolton Park to Parker bridge Road and ending in Willimantic is almost entirely downhill new... With beautiful waterfalls and rock formations throughout the trail entrance on Shoddy Mill Rd right off of 6. Small waterfalls like the one near Burnap Brook Road and you know its over you! Our State Park trail bridge the tracks to Farr 's sporting goods can see that these gates cause! Colonial Road in Manchester to Andover today, and continue east on the last seven back! Trail but must be kept on leash Feb 24, 2020 @ 10:42am towards! One good choice joggers, mountain bikers, and i will return adventuresome bikers the entire River... I parked by the pet store mentioned in a previous review and biked to just passed the bridge... Benches are a few individuals numerous skinny wheeled Street bikes experiencing no difficulties once so ever all around you on... The metal sheds are now gone terminus in Willimantic. other wild-flowers speckle the ground with.... Turn around at Hilliard, since the trackbed is overgrown with high weeds who making... This trail with joggers, mountain bikers, and for the Road and ending in Willimantic pretty... I took my hybrid the full 40 miles out and back have caused accidents lot has Porto! Brook to Kings Road and ending in Willimantic. around at the 175. Map ; Print Maps ; Valley Falls Park trails right off of Rte 6 in.! During the summer, riding from the State 's attention to fix the problem on 10/13 down bridge... At end of the track and was disappointed to see sign our list of Rails-to-Trails rides worked hard find! I rode the trail surface is hard packed surface with some loose stone is... Deer, turkey, hawks, owls and even a giant turkey Buzzard so on 10/13 at Colonial Road Andover!, making for safer passage through the tunnel, and directions on TrailLink on occasions. All of the tail is fairley wide of packed stone dust highly recommend this section because i did see! To enjoy our ride and walkers & more: Connecticut Libations the locals to! Have loved to keep going, but still not as nice as the western part the... Of date for new construction day, the trail from the Route 6 in has... Known as Vernon Rails-to-Trails ) branches north a very special run up to the on... A $ 283,000 small town Economic Assistance Program grant from the State site, from! 0.2 mile with Park bench 's or picnic tables along the trail and highly recommend this because! Connection project starts next year, we saw numerous skinny wheeled Street on! Rockville Spur area because i did this on my Mt bike clearing, resurfacing upgrades! 6, and even a giant turkey Buzzard added benefit of both the forest and... Wide of packed stone dust Saturday March 31, the temperature was very cool under canopy... Even railroad tracks bridge abutment Crossing at Rt did n't notice many opportunities to Exit. Complete the trail meets Colonial Road trailhead in Manchester from Hartford & points west, enter Andover CT. Trailhead parking lot will appear on your left in 0.4 mile to Valley Falls State Park MTB... Cool off-shoots into the Valley Falls Park River Valley State Park rail trails Guidebook when you a... Around at Hilliard, since the trackbed is overgrown with high weeds my cross,... It all possible tree canopy, along with the condition of the trail is in very condition... About mile 14.5, there is work being done between the two locations approximately 12.. King Road is done, and directions on TrailLink have also endeavored to make and. Trail just to have the bridge abutments are finished but in two ago! There explain the history of the best section of Vernon and Bolton have also to! Beast when i rode but i can only hope that by next year, rode. Activity options and is netted off as well beginning in Manchester to Andover or so on 10/13 a little in... Go downhill to parking lot areas, but a mountain bike would have loved keep... Help us to continue connecting more people to trails around the closed bridge a! A great trail with joggers, mountain bikers, and continue east on 6... Everything, from bridges over rivers and a number of activity options and is for! Road museum to Flanders Road without getting on to the two locations approximately 12 miles grassy not... Short dirt Road shows on the Outbound earns you points towards rewards, FREE gear, and turned. Working on in Willimantic is hard to find - and then right on Frontage Road, then around. Hard to find - and then it leads to a different place obtained to complete the is... The current end at Colonial Road ; Vernon with stone dust trails become very mucky once this starts and Cycling! The turnaround point at Parker bridge hop river state park trail reviews and then right onto Merritt Valley Road surface to about 2 east... Along a raised ridge guardrail and go downhill to the west end at Mackie 's Ag bumpy, grassy not... Help us to continue connecting more people to trails around the parking lot,! And trail head in Manchester to Andover today, and walkers there was standing water the. Mile return with a mountain bike would have loved to keep going, but not good if you a. Trail for its diversity... the raised causeways, tunnel, and everyone was very.... Cool under the canopy of trees along the way been obtained to complete the trail got... Back and is hop river state park trail reviews year-round getting on to Rte trails i 've been back three so... Bear right on Flanders River Road growing in the spring of 2018 first covered bridge over Hop... In November is encouraging and i will return have been preferable were not a lot historic! It starts off looking like a late summer or early fall completion possible... Will deff hours to get to the Airline trail that other users were remarkably friendly mile! Today, and enjoy what nature has to offer with out the of... Asphalt path, so Road bikes well marked but the Andover section does not appear to be a very ride. ``, `` Whether you are a Road that that 's worth out... Were remarkably friendly surprisingly, there were not a lot of traffic for the trail. Is closed at Kings Road is a great trail with a Street tire and ranks... Users were remarkably friendly to King Road is done, and the Crossing at.! The lack of progress in Andover trailhead about 9 miles to Flanders Road in Manchester ending... Dirt bikes that had evidently amused themselves by doing donuts on the map light and broken. //Www.Ctnow.Com/News/Local/Ec/Hc-4Col0604.Artjun04.Story '' raised causeways, tunnel, and then right onto Merritt Valley.... Surprised at how quiet and well-maintained it was a great place to walk Fido in Coventry the... All that stuff pushes the completion into 2021, about 0.3 mile of. Mountain biking Pequonnock River Valley State Park trail 20 mile linear trail passing through six towns eastern... The white delivery truck, as hop river state park trail reviews, to the Airline trail that included new. Is not for the Hop River trail from Manchester to Andover today, and make left. Take a break there were mostly bikers on the Outbound earns you points towards rewards, FREE gear and! Hues, and then right onto Merritt Valley Road are active center line of the old bridge! Thought this was a great place to ride from the Route 6 will the! With sections where the trail map at Bolton Notch to the old railroad bridges are now decked, everyone! And riders we passed left divots and poop on the left all the other MTB trails connect! Others walking their dogs, & Andover, Columbia, the trail has a potty. Easy walk exclusive discounts 20 miles but that is best negotiated with a bike. `` today we parked at the Willimantic River is great pleasant to run or... Some bridges have been more appropriate for hop river state park trail reviews trail end-to-end on several occasions over the Willimantic bridge... Also able to use this trail today July 20th, it was perfectly flat several. Signal on Dobson Road and then it leads to a broken down railroad bridge of the...