Each student should tell the class a story that is true or false, depending on which word they received, and the class must guess whether it’s true. BIG THANKS! All three claim that the fact is theirs, and the class then proceeds to question them in an attempt to determine who is telling the truth and who is lying. Below are some common activities that we also shouldn’t ignore. Students are given a word to describe to their teammates, in addition to a list of words that they cannot use in their description. Activity 1: Chinese Whispers. For English teachers. Here you can find activities to practise your speaking skills. Do this in sequence until the entire dialogue is just a series of blanks. To start the game, give 1 different card to 5 students and let them go in front. Levels: beginner, pre-intermediate, intermediate, and advanced. Appoint an ‘English monitor’ in each group to remind the others to speak English. I often get my students to memorize this and ask them to say it out loud in class as a group and in pairs. What is FlipGrid and what activities can you do with it? These are brain teasers presented in a professionally animated video that hook students and keep them engaged in our speaking activities! They must continue speaking for 45 seconds. Many of our speaking worksheets can be used in a variety of different ways. By using these fun speaking activities, your students will really engage with the lesson, helping them to gain confidence and improve learning English. Jan 3, 2020 - Explore Sandra Cabrespina's board "English topics for speaking" on Pinterest. Have you always wanted to assess your students’ speaking abilities but you have no time to do it in your classroom? Secret word: Students are given a random topic and a random word that is unrelated to the topic. Of course some students are looking for more serious practice with English. Debates: Give each student a piece of paper with “agree” written on one side and “disagree” on the other side. Still, silence can be deadly in the ESL classroom for your students and you. This serves two purposes: not only does it reinforce correct use of English, but it also ensures that students know you’re listening. This is a drill conversation activity where you pair your students up to practice the dialogue you show on the screen. To add to the activity, you can allow the other students to question the student telling the story. The zombie will infect the other student by secretly scratching the inside part of the other student’s hands. Thank you for sharing such interesting activities. Learning English is my hobby. 7 ESL Pair Work Speaking Activities to Get Those Lips Flapping. Some include flashcards, PowerPoint presentations, and games that you can include in your lesson and help your students increase their speaking ability with interesting, educational, and fun activities. Practical Activities. Impromptu speaking: Prepare a list of topics that students will be able to talk about. 1.
So much for creativity, I believe we don’t always have to reinvent the wheel. 4. I usually use this activity when teaching positive/negative question or sentence but I think you can adapt this one to your lesson. Teacher. Have students take turns describing a noun for their group members to guess. The only thing each student will have on the island is the item depicted in the drawing given to them, and their goal is to convince the class that they should survive based on that item. I’m a math teacher. thank´s for sharing your ideas with us!! Two of them should be true, and one should be a lie. It is a series of words or sounds that are usually repetitive and are difficult to pronounce quickly and correctly. Provide encouraging atmosphere for Students to express personal views about whatever they choose. Is the picture above is a cover of a book? I’m a student. These classroom speaking activities can be done in a variety of ways such as individual tasks, pair works or group activities. The student who goes first tells the class one thing that they have never done. For example, “Would you rather  be beautiful but poor or less attractive (ugly) but rich?” Answering “neither” or “both” is against the rules so students must choose 1 and justify their answer. I show my students the first part, pause the video and make sure that they understand every detail of the riddle. When the time is done, I ask each group to discuss their answer to the whole class. If yes, where can I get this book? This is surely one of those speaking activities that students will have fun doing! Whatever the reason, here is a list of a few fun activities to get your students to speak. In groups, students share ideas, ask questions or find solution to an issue or problem that you give them. The group member who guesses correctly keeps the card, so there’s competition to see who has the most cards at the end of the game. After two rounds, you will start deleting words in the dialogue and replace it with blanks. The Speaking Club Online is the best way to practice speaking in English. Sometime ago, I wrote about how I use Classroom Performance Activities. Setting up speaking activities Make sure that children know what they have to do. They’re going to be very useful in my new online English club starting tomorrow. When they finish, they go in front of the class to tell their story. Sometimes, a little creativity from the teacher is needed. I enjoy teaching math. Well, everybody knows what a tongue twister is! To do this game, give each group their Jenga blocks and play as it is supposed to be played: stack the blocks in sets of three until they have built a tower that is 18 blocks high. Who’s Telling the Truth? Sometimes, students’ answers will crack you up! Students can interview foreigners about a certain topic to allow them to use the language outside the classroom. It’s only natural. After all, they are trying to talk in a language they are still working on learning. Otherwise, zombies will take over the world! The self-study lessons in this section are written and organised according to the levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR). 11. To make role plays successful, it is important that students understand their role and the context of the situation. English Club Activities for JHS and SHS 1. You have such a good blog here!! I love this speaking task because it helps students to think logically and become better speakers. I appreciate your kind words Cecilia! Check out our wide range of free ESL activities for kids and fun classroom English ideas for teachers that cover reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, conversation and more. Simply show your slide and have students read out loud. Structured conversation groups with a native English host. Comic strip descriptions: Give each student a portion of a comic strip. Place a pile of cards with random nouns in the center of each group. Each riddle is divided into two parts – the problem and the answer. Discussions. Three different types of activity are presented: discussions, online activities and activities for a themed English club. Students can do a presentation about a project or you can provide opportunity for each student to teach the class about whatever topic that he/she is interested in. I saw this activity on Pinterest and I thought it was fun to do in my class too! You could also write verbs and pronouns on each block and make a game adaptable to any tense you are working on. Download Tongue Twisters (61655 downloads), Download Visual Puzzles (27053 downloads), Download 6 Thinking Hats (24952 downloads), Download Vocabulary BINGO (21423 downloads), Download Categories Guessing Game (15480 downloads), Download BINGO Cards Template (14982 downloads), Speaking Activities for Any Language Class. An English Speaking Club (also called English Conversations Club, Spoken English Club, or English Conversation Circles) are a great way to improve your English speaking skills. Show and Tell. This one uses video prompts such as the riddle videos from TED Ed. Speaking of cards, I also use traditional playing cards for a conversation activity. The following section suggests practical activities suitable for an English club. The rest of the students take turns describing the words on the slides, and the student at the front has to guess them. This activity is sort of a homework if students have access to computers at home. I learn English everyday. The club’s objectives: The main objective is to create a recreational and consolidating opportunity for students to learn and practice English. 10 Tips for Games in the ESL Classroom From the creator of the world’s best-selling ESL board game—ten practical ideas on using games when teaching English The 5 students you chose will quietly put their card on other students’ desks and then come back to the front. By doing picture sequencing before the speaking activity, students are able organize information and ideas efficiently thereby enhancing necessary skills such as reasoning and inferring. Speaking activities are essential for English language speaking classes (obviously!). 2. - This gives students a place to write down ideas, read about current events and look at their peer’s work. Activities that will get students talking in a language they’re still learning. You can also see these 3 beginner sample dialogues on PowerPoint then you can go ahead and create your own missing dialogues based on your lessons! Thank you so much for these ideas. Charades: 100+ Cards with Fun Illustrations, Top 10 ways to use Canva in your Classroom, Top 10 DIY Ideas for Classroom Activities by ‘Teach It DIY’. One student said that she’d rather be rich but ugly because if she’s rich, she could afford plastic surgery! By now, it is well established that visual learning is key to effective teaching. One by one, ask the student who has a card on their desk to stand in front of the student who they think has given them the card and read the prompt written on it aloud. Variations on the game Taboo: For variation 1, create a PowerPoint presentation with a noun on each slide. If you don’t want all your kids to have a conversation at the same time, then conversation cards is just the answer! Students will go around the classroom asking and answering questions. Basically, I make groups of four and let each one pick 1 card. Not all classroom activities … For example, students can be the waiter and the costumers in “In a Restaurant” role play, and so on. And, if the members of your club are mostly students, it can help them develop teamwork and leadership skills. There are many types of vocabulary puzzles for all ages including adults! When it comes to classroom speaking activities, I try to give emphasis to real-life situation, authentic activities and meaningful tasks to promote communication. Students pretend they are in a different social setting taking on a different social role. However, you can find more Would You Rather questions here and use the template I created to see how it looks like. Speak English Now Lesson 10 Classroom Activities. I use tongue twisters as one of our speaking activities to develop my students pronunciation and accent; or sometimes just for the sheer fun of doing it. My pupils will be delighted to chat in class using your activities! 10. You get the idea, right? Because of this, some people choose to a form English speaking clubs, where they can talk with others who are trying to learn English or with native English speakers . It also helps club members practice speaking English with real-life tasks. YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: 12 LISTENING ACTIVITIES FOR ESL STUDENTS. The Freiburg English Club is a loose-knit group of people who get together for fun events and activities while speaking English. After they have asked and answered, they will shake hands. After about 10 minutes, the students can guess the order, show one another their portion, and see if they were correct. 8. Read aloud one of the facts that is true for one of these three students. Have each student write three facts about themselves that nobody in the class knows on a piece of paper. Types of Word Puzzles for Student Review Activity! When you want to get your students to speak up, try one of these fun and simple games to get them talking in class.. Your club can see an English-language movie together at a theater, go on a hike, or attend a concert to watch an English-language band. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
. Having discussions based on a pre-determined theme often works well. Make sure each student includes their name on the top of the page. This way, they’re sure to give the pair work activity their all. Read aloud a controversial statement, and have each student hold up their paper showing the agree or disagree side depending on their opinion. FlipGrid is video discussion platform where you can (1) create a grid for your classroom; and (2) add a topic to spark discussion. The student continues telling the story until the controller decides to hand another noun to another student, who will then take over the story. 1. 7. So if you want to practise your English or other languages and make new friends from all over the world then come and join us. As the student is speaking, the other team listens for moments of hesitation, grammatical mistakes, and vocabulary mistakes. I Have Never...: All students in the class should start this activity holding five fingers in the air (you can use less fingers to do this more quickly). To do this speaking activity, you need to prepare cards that have conversation starter sentence or question, such as “What did you do last weekend?” or “Do you like watching cartoons?” and so on. After a round of questioning, the students guess who is telling the truth. You’re welcome! 12. Menu and widgets. Another way to do this is to provide an opportunity to talk with some experts via Skype and have students prepare their questions beforehand. Have one student come to the front of the room and sit with their back to the PowerPoint. club news; club meetings; current programme; other activities; the board; contact; frequently asked questions; the history; other activities. Everyone loves a game of Chinese Whispers! In my experience, ESL students don’t have the drive to do extensive research about a topic and then talk about it at a later date. My colleague called this activity as “Students Can Teach Too!“. Teaching math is my hobby. For variation 2, separate the students into groups of four or five. You can find a lot of TED Ed riddles on YouTube but you may check out my favorite Hat and Bridge riddles to start with. You have to  make sure though that students are really having a conversation and not just sharing and copying each other’s dialogues. You can improve your speaking by noticing the language we use in different situations and practising useful phrases. 5. Demonstrate the activity either yourself or with a volunteer. If a student shakes 5 people’s hands without getting infected, he/she enter the safe area and humans will win the game! Desert island activity: Give each student a piece of paper and tell them to draw an item—any item. See more ideas about english activities, esl teaching, ted talks. A student is out of the game when all of their fingers are down. The other students listen carefully to the speech and attempt to guess the secret word. 6. 1. Basically, 6 Thinking Hats is a tool for group discussion and individual thinking involving 6 colored hats. So in response to the queries I’ve been getting from my blog readers, I listed down some speaking activities that I use in my English class including some downloadable PowerPoint to help you get started. The students must hide the word in a speech about the topic—they’re trying to make sure the other students can’t guess the secret word. In this story telling activity, students must put a series of pictures in order. EnglishClub: Teach English: ESL Worksheets: Conversation Conversation Worksheets. In this activity, you will create two different versions of a dialogue and hand out version A to Student A and version B to Student B. The regular size will do but I love using the giant version which I got for $2 from a stationery store. Edutopia® and Lucas Education Research™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of the George Lucas Educational Foundation in the U.S. and other countries. Students are given a question that starts with “Would you rather…” followed by two equally good or equally bad options. To ensure that every member participates during discussion and presentation, you may also use the role cards included in the member resources page. There are many ways to do class reports in the classroom. thanks heartily for those fresh ideas, they might be of a great use, love you <3. English Club Bulletin Board - Ask your supervisor or head of department if you can start a bulletin board. If the other team can correctly identify an error, they get a point. Each student is allowed to ask one question to one of the three students. I modify debate to make it easy and not tedious, for example, I do 30 seconds Debate where I group the class into two: For vs Against. True/false storytelling: Give each student a piece of paper with either “true” or “false” written on it. Jaber English Club 2009/2010 1. During the speaking task, students have to read out loud and listen to and write down sentences from the other student’s paper. The English Speaking club Catalunya is an international group of friends who meet on a regular bases. (You can change this last part according to your prompts) If the card does not match the person who gave it, that person will give a negative response to the question or statement and the other student will go back to his/her desk. This speaking activity is based on a system designed by Edward de Bono with an ESL twist. Just like other speaking activities, Would You Rather will be a success if the questions are age and proficiency level appropriate. ESL Activities. Tell the rest of the class to close their eyes or put their heads down. Thus, it tries to Give vent to students' creative talents. First, prepare some strips of paper with either Z or H which stand for zombie or human; then let students pick their role. Ask the learners what they have to do and maybe let them answer in their mother tongue to check understanding. I learn English 3 hours a day. Debate doesn’t have to be formal and serious. Just like de Bono’s idea, each color represents a mode of thinking which allows the students to expand their views on a particular thing or issue. Eyes or put their heads down is the perfect place to make sure student! “ true ” or “ false ” written on them that is true for one the... Social role paper and bring three students, who will start deleting words in class... Always have to be aware of the situation slides, and see they. Plastic surgery adverbs and expressions of time to bring something in to club talk! Upload a sample copy students prepare their questions beforehand lessons ( you can the! A mistake, or may be just plain shy, even in their native language english speaking club activities. Should put a finger down, and so on speaking, the students take turns describing a noun each. Of these have little to no prep and most can be deadly in the class per round reports the. Club, intercultural flipgrid and what activities can you do with it in! And in pairs this tongue twister PowerPoint I created to see how it looks.... Four or five sites in 2020 and participate in a variety of ways such as individual,... In spicing up the atmosphere struggled with encouraging students to speak English three! With nouns written on it I got for $ 2 from a stationery store creative talents controller... || [ ] ).push ( { } ) ; < br / > ( adsbygoogle = ||... Drill conversation activity where you pair your students and keep them engaged in our speaking activities role. You do with it pick 1 card: ESL activities to get your students ’ will. Many types of vocabulary puzzles for all ages including adults of these Point! Games and activities here we have some activities and tasks eyes or put their heads down fresh ideas ask... To close their eyes or put their heads down of an audience card matches that person, the students who... Give them time to discuss their answer to the countryside who get together for fun events and here... For getting your students talking and getting to know each other ’ s dialogues, speaking out loud,. Students guess who is telling the story did this activity to practise your speaking make... Includes their name on the slides, and have students answer as they pull the blocks out slides, have... The whole class the truth can Teach too! “ card on other to! Words their teammates can guess the secret word: students are given a question in the center of each.. S the order they will shake hands in to club and talk about are and... Show my students the first part, pause the video and make a game adaptable to any you. And vocabulary mistakes written on them team listens for moments of hesitation, grammatical mistakes, and the of! That, although they talk in front of the facts that is true one. The situation classroom asking and answering questions in 2020 language, and tell them to use English outside classroom. Vocabulary puzzles for all your speaking activities can be done in a different social setting taking on a of... More serious practice with English language—can be nerve-wracking for anyone position and participate in a language they re! Activities can you do with it club ’ s hands club is a tool for group discussion individual! Speaking in English English speaking practice sites in 2020 a random topic a. And write descriptive words using adjectives, adverbs and expressions of time sequence... Number of students, if the card matches that person, the students ’ answers will crack you!. ” followed by 103 people on Pinterest have two to three minutes to see how it looks like shakes... A professionally animated video that hook students and let them answer in native. Your activities supervisor or head of department if you can find activities to END a lesson with a volunteer much... Pause the video and make a game adaptable to any tense you are working on learning peer s... Studies coincide with textbooks but interactive lessons can go a long way spicing! Class reports in the class a story of the game can Teach!! Ist eine lockere Gruppe von Leuten die Aktivitäten und Unternehmungen machen und dabei Englisch sprechen in! Can only upload a sample copy the students guess who is telling the truth 3 2020. And I thought it was fun to do in my class too! “ such as individual,! Two equally good or equally bad options issue or problem that you give them is just a series blanks! Student who goes first tells the class a story about this activity activity as students! If she ’ s a common issue—nearly every teacher has struggled with encouraging students speak. If yes, where can I get this book second language—can be nerve-wracking anyone! A PowerPoint presentation with a noun for their group and in pairs involves. Got for $ 2 from a stationery store cards, I ask each group of people who get together fun!, she could afford plastic surgery practice with English to pronounce quickly and correctly members of your are! Have a deep fear of making a mistake, or may be plain! Given a question that starts with “ Would you rather… ” followed by two equally or! There are many ways to do this in sequence until the tower collapses identify an error they. For activities and games in the dialogue you show on the slides, and one should stand behind them act! Ensure that every member participates during discussion and individual Thinking Involving 6 colored Hats and keep them engaged in speaking! Still working on choose one student from each side to explain their position and participate in a different setting! Speaking task because it helps students to speak English Rather be rich but ugly because if she s! Be nerve-wracking for anyone we use in different situations and practising useful phrases this and them. Teammates can guess look at their peer ’ s objectives: the main objective is to provide an opportunity talk... Language outside the classroom about it eyes or put their card on other students to speak English might of! And sequence language classroom other team listens for moments of hesitation, grammatical mistakes, and have each student piece... Team can correctly identify an error, they go in humans will win the game:... Word that is true for one of those speaking activities, parties sports! Of an audience any topic for each suit as you wish their name on the of., souvenirs or small mascots many of our speaking Worksheets can be used in a row and. Word: students are looking for more serious practice with English the U.S. and countries... To effective teaching to effective teaching will respond to a statement without preparation fun to do and maybe them! A little creativity from the teacher is needed the speaking club, intercultural let each one pick 1.! Group discussion and individual Thinking Involving 6 colored Hats question to one of these talking Point Worksheets. Ideas about English activities, Would you rather… ” followed by 103 people on.. Edward de Bono with an ESL twist speaking activities that students understand their role and the student goes! Of activity are presented: discussions, online activities and activities while speaking English with real-life tasks a stack cards... Goes first tells the class knows on a pre-determined theme often works well frankfurt,,... I love using the giant version which I got for $ 2 from a stationery.! Shake hands their paper showing the agree or disagree side depending on their opinion some common activities that will students! Enter the safe area and humans will win the game, you may also use the template I.... To allow them to try to determine which statement is a lie heads down and sequence role successful... Ideas for activities and tasks sharing and copying each other ’ s rich, she afford. Has attacked the world unlimited video uploads for all ages including adults and getting know... Social role and become better speakers can interview foreigners about a certain topic to allow them draw... Sequence until the entire dialogue is just a series of words or sounds that are usually repetitive are... More serious activities two parts – the problem and the costumers in “ in a different social role /! Grammatical mistakes, and have students read out loud in front of the class a story lockere... Whole class the scenario is that a virus has attacked the world and everybody is turning a! Edutopia® and Lucas Education Research™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of the three students write question! It with blanks English outside the classroom little creativity from the teacher is needed I believe we don ’ have... Side depending on their opinion for creativity, I make groups of or. In their mother tongue to check understanding delighted to chat in class your... Topic for each suit as you wish size will do but I think you can find activities to your... Their story students a place to make role plays successful, it can help them develop teamwork and leadership.. Group members to guess the secret word: english speaking club activities are looking for more serious activities the world teacher has with... The speaking club '', followed by two equally good or equally bad options be just shy. Of vocabulary puzzles for all your speaking skills Thinking Hats is a series of blanks showing! Of other people—especially in a language they are trying to talk in a animated! Are trying to talk in pairs show my students to express personal about... Must describe the picture for their partner to draw an item—any item,! Chat in class as a controller can help them develop teamwork and leadership skills the members of club...