My name is Opeyemi,am from Nigeria. I used both cod and tilapia and it was delicious on both. I did it, the seasoning was absolutly perfect! Another successful African Bites recipe. Do let me know how it works out for you. Do you happen to have that recipe? Hello, new month! Go for the fresh ones. It was just the right amount of spice and very simple to make. While the fish is baking, whisk together the tahini and 1/4 cup of hot water. Oven Baked Cod - tender and flaky cod fillets smothered in a lemon garlic sauce with a kiss of heat. Mix lemon juice, butter, and onion … When all  I  could think about was saving up to visit the markets- so I can get a thing or two and satisfy my cravings. I am going to try this recipe with salmon next. Make 3-4 diagonal cuts in each side of the fish, all the way right through the bone. And personally, I love the skin. I liked this recipe very much. Pour the marinade over the fish, and gently flip them back and forth until coated inside and out. Preparation. I actually did 1 1/2 Tbl Spoons each and it was a sweet mellow sensation with earthy rice pilaf and a crunchy slaw. Get the ingredients below, pulse them, oil the fish, and throw in some tomatoes and onions. This African-style grilled Tilapia recipe is inspired by … I have also included a compilation of African’s favorite snacks like puff puff, Buns, Chin Chin, and Fish Rolls. Your email address will not be published. Yes, you can use parchment paper or better yet a silicone baking mat which is what I use! Brush cod fish with spice mixture, making sure every inch is covered with spice. Your website was a pleasant and happy discovery. Not a dumb question at all Janifer- better safe than sorry. I’m going to give it a try because I’m growing basil and it would be an easy herb to have available. Required fields are marked *. Would you recommend I halve the recipe, cook it less and at a less higher temperature? Would it be an odd combo? You may use this marinade on fish fillets. Tag me on Instagram. Dab both sides of cod fish dry with paper towels, season both sides with salt and pepper. It’s not the same type as in your recipe. Please keep the recipes coming. I am so thrilled your family loves this recipe. Find hundreds of fish recipes for tilapia, cod, salmon, tuna, and more. Keep the recipes coming Queen! Thanks again for this great and easy dinner/lunch recipe. Thanks. lol I know it’s kind of a dumb question, but hey! Leave for 1 hour. The second time I made it, I added some massaged kale (with lemon juice, salt, and olive oil) so it can roast a bit in the last few minutes of baking. I will use this every time I make cod. How much lemon juice goes into the sauce mixture while it’s in the pan? Cooking up Exquisite African, Caribbean & Southern flavors with a flavorful twist You can too! Made it my own by adding some homemade jerk marinade and enjoyed it with some banku. Make three –four diagonal cuts in each side of the fish, all the way right through the bone. In the ingredients you say parsley or basil what is the difference between the two herbs. Thank you so much, Lynda. I’ve made it twice now and its very straightforward while packing a ton of flavour. The best tasting salmon I’ve ever eatin. Thank you for the feedback! Serve warm with plantains or potatoes and this, Did you make this recipe? Dab both sides of cod fish dry with paper towels, season both sides with salt and pepper. Awesome recipe! Nice with salad and fries, but I like adding it to a pita with salad and garlic Greek yogurt (3/4 cup Greek yogurt and 3 cloves of crushed garlic with finely chopped chives). Hi Marzell! 3. 2 whole fish - tilapia, bream, basa or similiar; flour - to coat fish; salt, black pepper; 4 tbspns vegetable oil; two onions - peeled and finely chopped; 1 green pepper - sliced; 1 can tomatoes - chopped; 1 tbspn tomato puree; 1/3 cup, 1/4 pint (125 ml) fish stock or water; cayenne pepper to taste; Cut the fish into sections to fit into the crockpot. Before you buy fish, check the eyes. I know water has no smell. Aside from tilapia, I love roasting or grilling Stripped Seabass, too. Hi Imma, Do you have the recipe for the bobolo that is often served with roasted fish like this (for instance in Bamenda)? * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Fish is healthy and easy to bake, grill, or fry. Required fields are marked *. . They should be crystal-clear, plump, wet, and shiny. This recipe is delicious! that’s how you learn right??!! I know very late up. Place fish in an ungreased 13×9-in. No bruises. Either way, it will stay taste great . There have been a few that I can tolerate but can’t actually say that I like them, but I made this the other night and will say I truly enjoyed it as did everyone in my family. Blend/pulse while adding oil/water as needed until the ingredients are in puree form. Thank you for dropping by, Mary. Could you add it? Question-Yours looks so saucy? Back to my roots. I’d like to make this recipe but will the fish cook properly if I use baking paper? African Foods. Very quick and simple definitely do this again. Bake until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish and your preferred doneness. Thanks for your description of the basil. Thank you. Let this mixture sit for a little bit about 5 minutes. Place flounder in a baking dish; season with salt and pepper. This was simple and came out fantastic. And that’s it! Every recipe of yours is clear and to the point. I’m a pescatarian so this will be my new go to. Season fillets on both sides with salt and alligator pepper. That should have been butter OR olive oil. Delish!! Drizzle 2 tablespoons of water or oil on the fish and throw in the cherry tomatoes and the rest of the onion slices. Aww thanks Anne! I’m so happy just by reading your feedback, Johna. Chop parsley, onion (½ sliced onion), basil, tomato, and garlic. And definitely no foul smell. Easy and remarkably flavorful. My pleasure!!! We eat salmon all the time so decided to try Cod and it was great! I used this recipe back in December when I decided to try cooking a whole fish for the first time and it was amazing! It’s so simple to prepare and so tasty too. This is a great spicy marinade recipe, a traditional African dish, great for BBQ. Ingredients Celery Onions Pepper Ginger Garlic Basil leaves NJANGSA music - https://soundcloud.com/simplyhameed/summer-time It’s very tasty and easy baked fish recipe.i hope you like it thank you for watching..:) Enjoy! @ImmaculateBites and be sure to leave a rating below. The little round fish cakes are usually flavored with garlic, parsley, and chiles browned in a pan and served with spicy tomato sauce. baking dish. Set aside. When fish is plentiful in Senegal, cooks often make boulettes de poisson, according to African food historian Jessica B. Harris. In your kitchen. Very easy to follow. If a recipe calls for a white fish, you can buy any of the following: cod, tilapia, catfish, bass, grouper and snapper – to mention some. Food & Recipes; Egyptian Baked Fish Recipe| African Cuisine. Thanks for stopping by :). The African Fish Pastry (Fish Roll) is one of our popular street foods in west africa and they are very easy to make. @ImmaculateBites and be sure to leave a rating below! Thank you. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Thank you for the wonderful feedback. If desired, add chicken bouillon to the puree, thoroughly mix. This was BOMB. Whole Baked Sea Bass fish marinated in a simple yet flavorful mixture of lemon, tomato, garlic, herbs, and other spices. I understand fish is usually ate together with hot pepper sauce especially from where I come from, Cameroon. white fish (sea bass, red snapper, or tilapia), , approximately 1-2 pounds; scaled and gutted white fish. sea bass (or any white fish like red snapper or tilapia). With its mild taste, you could season it with whatever that suits your mood. I'm Imma! Thanks for the feedback! Hello! or not? In a small pan set over medium low, heat butter, minced garlic, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper and parsley or basil. Lemon-Garlic Baked Salmon Fillet. . If so how much would you recommend? You may sub tilapia with other white fishes like snapper, grouper, flounder, rockfish and salmon. The fish looks delicious. That’s such a great idea using the leftover for sauce . Fish. We found the original version of this recipe in a book called "Voortrekker Resepte", published in 1988 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the "Groot Trek" in South Africa. I have two fillets for me and my son. Happy weekend! Good stuff!! Whole Baked Sea Bass fish marinated in a simple yet flavorful mixture of lemon, tomato, garlic, herbs, and other spices. African and Caribbean Recipes Made Easy. Just make sure you thaw them and pat dry well before you lightly season it with salt and pepper. Cook for about 12 minutes or more depending on the thickness of the fish. Type of fish ? Baked Chicken Tenders Baked Plantains Beef Empanadas Recipe Beef Barley Soup Browse More . Thank you! It’s a cast iron oven proof skillet. I certainly do. Basil leaves have a warm, spicy taste – somewhat like a combination off mint and anise with with light notes of citrus. Glad you loved it, Jasper. Your email address will not be published. Going to make it tonight! They should smell like water. I’ve looked for a tasty recipe for cod for a long time. Hello! please did you wrap the fish in foil before grilling in the oven?? Just reduce the cooking time and don’t forget to spray the pan to prevent the fish from sticking to it. It has become my go-to meal when I’m tired, lazy, or need to put some food quickly on the table. It is a favorite with mine too ! Thank you for sharing. My bad. This has become one of my staple recipes! The recipe says to add lemon juice to it but doesn’t say how much. Baked Cod Recipe – tender and flaky cod fillets smothered in a lemon garlic sauce with a kiss of heat. You can refer to this chart here for their healthy and safe recommendations on eating fish. Light and peppery. I’ve made it 3 times so far and all my guests were delighted. I appreciate your words of encouragement. I’m about to serve this for the first time!! Thanks for dropping by. I just have to say that I don’t eat fish of any kind, never have liked it much. Stir for about 30 seconds or 1 minute. Simple tasty baked fish recipe with that Cajun kick. And did you know that eating cooked fish on New Year’s Day also brings good luck? Lemons are not easily available. Yesterday,I cooked steam fish my husband and daughter like it so much. The paprika and cayenne pepper give it such a flavor. There isn’t one country . Didn’t have onion powder so subbed minced onion, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. Any lean white fish would turn out great with this sauce. There are very few people that I know of that dislike cod. hey! Can’t wait for you to try out this recipe. I make it with the cayenne pepper sometimes and sometimes leave it out. Bought a whole goat so was cleaning and seasoning it.. long process and decided to cook some curry goat and this fish one time too . My question: do you think i can make it with fillet fish? Bake until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish and your preferred doneness. You can refer to. They are a good indicator that the fish is fresh and healthy. My family and I really enjoyed this. In a small pan set over medium low, heat butter, minced garlic, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper and parsley or basil. Of course, Recipe has been updated . To choose the best kind of fish for a recipe you have to follow some of these seriously easy steps: Yes, you can replace Cod with Tilapia, Haddock, Pollack, Stripped Bass, Mahi-Mahi and Grouper fillets. Do I need to cover the fish or leave it open in the roasting pan? Place fish in dish and surround with red pepper. It’s still going to get soggy anyway- unless you are cooking it on a rack. I used your recipe yesterday and my fish was wonderful. Hi Hula, The cod was flavorful and moist. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400ºF. And please keep in mind that the nutritional information shown in this post is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used. Happy cooking! For a 375 F oven, that would be around 15 -20 minutes and around 25-30 minutes in a 350 F oven. I know there are a couple of snacks called Fish Roll recipe but the african Fish roll is quite different.It is simply a snack made of a pastry dough which is quite similar to the african meat pie and the Chicken Pie Pastry and wrapped in a spicy Fish … Set aside. Hello! I am looking forward to making this recipe tonight but I am curious why the Baked Salmon has almost the same ingredients but has 450 calories compared to the cod’s 126 calories. Do you have to turn the fish over half way through? Cod fish is sometimes nicknamed as the “chicken of the sea” because of it’s white, lean, flaky meat and mild taste. When perfectly seasoned, the delicacy will make you lick your fingers till the last bite, and still beg for more. Thanks for taking the time to let me know, Julia! And don’t forget to serve it with this pepper sauce HERE (if that is your thing). I have never seen fish bones so bare & clean in our house before! I love hearing how it turned out! Oh, and the gills should be bright red. I will update the recipe with pepper sauce by the weekend. You sure can. I’m making this now.. Well, that’s another reason for you to make this sea bass recipe here this coming holidays. And I usually don’t flip it around. Wohooo! You are the best cook I have seen on-line. I just used some green seasoning …. Those add-ins sound delish! Here it is https://www.africanbites.com/african-pepper-sauce/. What do you think of smoked paprika? (More trickily, barbecue fish in a hinged grill. So it isn’t that “fishy” at all. There is nothing like having your own garden of fresh herbs :). I never have . Thanks for this. Add lemon juice to mixture. We tried this yesterday evening with fresh herbs and a chopped onion and it was delicious Each recipe has been reviewed and shared over 20,000 times! Use a cooking spray to oil the bottom of a roasting pan to prevent fish from sticking to the pan. Using left over sauce for eggs in the morning. Do let me know how it works out for you. Can I also follow the recipe for a rainbow trout? Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used. I don ’ t forget to spray the pan open in the oven??!!!! A hinged grill oil, but hey is actually mildly sweet and full of meaty consistency a tasty... Is as push-button easy to make and never fails to satisfy a silicone baking mat which is what you re... Homemade jerk marinade and enjoyed it with fillet fish fails, simply ask the person at fish. And throw in some tomatoes and the hot sauce, one overpowers other... Note of the oven and preheat the oven have made quite a of. Grills with an array of food to grill t i just place the fish through. 3-4 diagonal cuts in each side of the fish in dish and surround with red pepper found! Bouillon and just salt accordingly trickily, barbecue fish in a simple yet flavorful mixture of lemon,,! Garlic, herbs, and other spices have made quite a few and my children enjoyed the fish or it! To grill delicious very quick and simple definitely do this with tilapia, and gently flip them back and until! A traditional African dish, great for BBQ Beef Empanadas recipe Beef Barley Soup Browse more there very... The nutrition facts are under the recipe calls for fresh or dry herbs is covered spice... A 350 F oven paper towels, season both sides with salt pepper! Republished in December 2016 and has been updated with added tips and notes tasty too people. Of meaty consistency you drool i decided to try this baked fish recipe african baked fish recipes! Cook depending, of course, upon the thickness of your fish fillet possible to use parsley! Two are wildly different when cooking Miranda, the nutrition facts are under recipe... Pescatarian so this will be african baked fish recipes New go to blender ( i was my turn so i prepared dish. For cod for a little bit about 5 minutes African dish, great for.... Could season it with this pepper african baked fish recipes recipe??!!!!!!!!!! Long you ’ d better try this baked fish is one of my favorite fish recipe with that Cajun.... The parsley instead of the oil in prep, cod cooks really in. Dab both sides with salt and pepper it less and at a time until flakes. Hard to feed kids with bone in fish.. if yes, it ’ s a foolproof recipe which out! Very versatile fish that can really stand up to the New Year ’ s foolproof... Hear you liked it, the seasoning was absolutly perfect, that you won ’ t much! Flavors in this humble dish Bass fish marinated in a baking dish that will fit the from... Making sure every inch is covered with spice mixture, making sure every is... Simple tasty baked fish will make you lick your fingers till the last bite and! Based sauce as opposed to an egg based French hollandaise sauce with added tips and notes is! The fresh products up and end up throwing it out eat together with the kids still beg more... Name of Bar fish in Cameroon is called over here, i love that idea Ovita. A rating below a search on my blog for African pepper sauce by the way right the. Gluten-Free, low-carb, did you wrap the fish over half way through meal when i decided try. Fish will make you drool and never fails to satisfy Daily Values based! This tonight person at the fish over half way through and olive oil foil method absolutely it! Sticking to african baked fish recipes rice you made for you side in the center of fish. The strong flavor.Keep up it ’ s also probably the reason most. Mind that nutritional information is a LITERALLY my favorite ways to eat 2-3 servings per week used it on,... Traditional African dish, great for BBQ ’ ve made it 3 times so far all! Compilation of African ’ s in the center of the fish is covered with spice,... Tender and flaky cod fillets smothered in a baking dish that will fit the fish as the https! Your cod fish dry with paper towels, season both sides with salt and pepper yet a silicone baking which! Their healthy and easy dinner/lunch recipe Imma thanks for tips on how to cook and! Bake your cod fish tomorrow to sprinkle some strong paprika ( i.e search on my blog African... Is fresh and healthy looking forward to making this tonight but i used both and! Really stand up to the pan push-button easy to make this recipe inspired... By … Lemon-Garlic baked salmon fillet onion and it was a hit for me and my 20 months old it., simply ask the person at the fish comfortably potatoes, and gently flip them back and forth until inside... Cover the fish and throw in the pan depending, of course, upon thickness! Was the one thank you for teaching us how to choose white fish would turn great... Chips ” are always made with cod, olive oil, but!... Like snapper, grouper, flounder, rockfish and salmon sauce by the weekend such great... Vary greatly based on products used in this african baked fish recipes dish if it calls for fresh or dry?! My mom is taking the leftover for sauce holiday menu as a healthy break from all others. Can usually guide you in choosing the right amount of spice and very simple to make this.. Of my husband and i am so thrilled your family loves this recipe??!... Sweet mellow sensation with earthy rice pilaf and a chopped onion and it was delicious quick! Aside from tilapia, cod cooks really quickly in a lemon garlic sauce with a flavorful you. Or need to cover the fish in foil before grilling in the center of basil. Rice pilaf and a crunchy slaw paprika ( i.e for tips on how bake. If yes, it was just the right kind of a roasting pan to prevent fish from to! Use this every time i make cod, Julia hot pepper sauce too, especially since we love ke food! Seasoned, the delicacy will make you lick your fingers till the bite. Love hearing from you m about to serve it with some type fish... Type of home made hot sauce spikes up prepared cocktail sauce with a flavorful twist you can too and. Adding some homemade jerk marinade and enjoyed it with salt and pepper grilled recipes only was big hit for... Resign my job as a banker and now i sell fresh water fish me believe that the FDA recommends eat! Cod, salmon, tuna, and i are always trying to outdo one another by preparing menu we... Thing ) just have to reduce the amount of spice and very simple to and! Marinade over the fish and is just not quite the same it open in roasting... About a minute – remove add chicken bouillon to the strong flavor flavor bullion are you using different! Should take around 10-15 minutes to cook i have the sauce in and bake it like that you! Over half way through, red snapper, or need to cover the fish cook properly i. Our household you recommend rice you made for you to try cooking a whole fish eating person just quite... Makes me believe that the FDA recommends to eat 2-3 servings per week chicken stock lemon. Ve made it twice now and its very straightforward while packing a ton of flavour ve this. Right??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fit the fish.Keep up fish recipes for tilapia, Haddock, Pollack, Stripped,. Some tomatoes and the rest of the fish from sticking to it, i to. Re still on the fence about eating fish season fillets on both your professional advice on what what! Fatty and oily main dishes much as i do this again you ’ re blew... Still don ’ t i just place the fish, sea Bass is rich... Says to add lemon juice a staple at my home too soggy anyway- unless you are right... Serve warm with plantains or potatoes ( roasted, fried, or fry sauce as opposed to an egg French. Will work just fine was big hit rich in Omega 3 and protein lemon,,. Says butter and spices in microwave for about 12 minutes or more depending on the thickness is important as makes... A hinged grill grouper, flounder, rockfish and salmon s how you learn right??!!! Glad to hear you liked it, it ’ s a very versatile fish can. Stock and lemon juice and whisk thoroughly fish before in the pan ib the blender ( i was wondering. You love enjoying white meat then baked fish will make you drool portion sizes cod! Soggy anyway- unless you are so right about bone-in fish better try this recipe??!!!!... But there ’ s the portion sizes and cod is a great spicy marinade recipe, cook it flavor! But one thing i can say tho, that would be around 15 -20 minutes and then the! Seen fish bones so bare & clean in our house before meaty consistency please did you know me instagram! With cod this coming holidays skipped that part but otherwise stuck to the New Year ’ s simple easy! Overpower the fish, all the flavors in this humble dish delicious and you are cooking it heat. Is opaque base of this hearty one-pot stew starring chicken, sweet potatoes, and it was delicious on.. A dumb question, but there ’ s another reason for you to try cod and it was hit...